Upgrade OSX question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i-sidd, Jan 17, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I havea 2007 white macbook running tiger version 10.4.11, 2Ghz and 2gb memory.

Now I read somewhere that you can buy the $29 snow leopard upgrade cd and install the Snow Leopard. I just wanted to confirm if this can be done in my macbook and upgrade directly from tiger to snow leopard without installing leopard. How easy or diffiuclt is it. is there a place where there is a step by step guide of how to do this. Can i just buy the CD from apple store?

Any other concerns that i need to have please suggest.

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yes, you can buy the 29 bucks Snow Leopard DVD. And yes, unlike what many here will tell you, it IS a full version of the OS and just an upgrade license.

However, the 29 bucks DVD is technically restricted: It can only upgrade an installed version of Leopard. If you have Tiger on your system, you can only perform a fresh/full installation of Snow Leopard.

But since upgrading existing OS X installations always is a bad idea, this isn't much of an issue, it just costs you the time for a fresh installation from scratch. (Which is the best way to "upgrade" ANY operating system anyway.)

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, it is only restricted by license, not by any technical means. If you have Tiger on your system, it doesn't know or care. You can perform the upgrade the same way as if you had Leopard installed.

And upgrading existing OS X installations isn't a bad idea, it's perfectly fine unless you have already introduced corruption into the system somehow. For 99% of users, a standard upgrade is the proper way to go, both easier and safer, because it reduces the chance of lost data or preferences due to a botched transfer.

jW

4. JusChexin macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is this true? I bought a new ipad2 but I'm still running Tiger on my 2007 MacBook and I'd like to upgrade to Snow Leopard but not do a full reformat/install. Can I upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard for the $29 disc alone?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You revived a dead thread to ask a question that was answered in Post #2?

6. JusChexin macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes -- I keep hearing conflicting things over and over -- some say you have to buy the full $129 package with the professional suite to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard, some say the $29 Snow Leopard disc alone is fine, and one user above said it will only full-install but not upgrade. I'm just looking for clarification. I don't understand why people on this forum would be snarky when someone is genuinely trying to educate themselves on conflicting points of information???

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You've heard "Yes, you can" and "No, you can't." You seem to have accepted neither. How does reviving a dead thread get you another option?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

1) Not true. But, it's the ethically correct thing to do.
    2) True. Search and you will find threads in which people state, "I did it, and it worked."
    3) Not true. (see 2)

9. JusChexin macrumors member

Interestingly enough, a worker at the Apple Store today told me you need to buy the full $129 package and that the $29 single disc "won't do anything" when installed in a Tiger-based OSX computer. Maybe the $29 version works but I'm just too nervous to try it when Apple's official stance is that it won't work, lol. Thanks for all the help though! :)

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Then why ask? ;) And, interestingly enough, a single employee's (incorrect) statement doesn't constitute "Apple's official stance". Just because an employee told you it doesn't mean it's true. RadioShack employees will tell you that you really should get the extended warranty on your SD card, but you don't actually need it. The employee at Apple you spoke to probably wasn't trying to spread misinformation, but he/she was nonetheless incorrect.

I can confirm that I have a $29 copy of SL and have used it to erase a disk and then install SL on it. It will definitely work.