Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2023
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding upgrading and would welcome any advice.

I own an early 2013 MacBook Pro running High Sierra, 10.13.6 and would like to know if there is an upgrade path to the latest macOS, or a path to one that is most compatible with this unit. Ideally, I'd like to get to 12.3.1 or later, because I'm getting warnings from Spotify that I need to upgrade in order to use the application.

The problem is that I don't even see a macOS upgrade install in the App Store. Nothing comes up when I launch the store on the Mac. I've also read about creating a bootable USB with the macInstaller using the macOS Recovery App, which I don't have.
I also read about creating a virtual machine using Parallels or VMware Fusion, or using a cloud-based macOS service, both seem like too much work to undertake. So, I prefer the USB method but would need to know how to get the macOS, and if installing Monterey or something else will affect performance or overheat the unit. I know that there is a risk that other apps will not work, but as I mentioned I use Spotify, Skype, and Message, primarily.

Generally speaking, the Macbook Pro runs exceptionally well and has zero issues. I do not plan to purchase a new Mac anytime time since this Mac has been great for my purposes. I use PCs primarily for work, and the Macbook Pro for music related functions.

Thank you in advance.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Here you can find macOS's on Apple's web site:

Natively, maximum OS for your MBP is macOS 10.15.7 Catalina.

If you want a later macOS, you need to use OCLP:

Not all of the functionality will be available, and you must expect problems.

PeteRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2023
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm attempting to reinstall High Sierra 10.13.6, because things just don't seem right, like the App Store isn't displaying any updates at all. But it seems that it can't be installed on the disk because the volume does not meet the requirements for the update. Is there a fix for this?

PeteRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2023
Using your link to the installation page, I download the dmg file, ran it and discovered that the volume does not meet the requirements. I am now in the process of decrypting the volume, which evidently a encrypted volume can prevent installation. The time remaining is more than a day, so I will report back to you whether this has solved the install problem.

But to answer your question, my Go To initially was to open up the About This Mac tab and to select the UPGRADE button. But all that did was open the App Store, which is not showing any version of a macOS to select from. Your link, however, took me to a download page where I can download the High Sierra. But it is the same version I am running - 10.13.6. The download failed once, so I went back to the page and available version changed to 10.13.7, but that was a phantom of sorts because it would not let me download the file. The third final time I was able to download 10.13.6, but that's when the install failed due to the issue with the volume.

UI am hoping that decrypting the volume will at least allow me to reinstall the same version, which may or may not help me get to the next upgrade path.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Okay, I hope it goes well. Barring other problems you need not go through a path, of sorts, if you want Catalina, that's the dmg you'd download and install. Of course, beware of that it doesn't support 32 bit apps.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
Since it's really easy these days to upgrade via OCLP (Opencore Legacy Patcher, done it on 6 of my family's Macs) you can get Sonoma 14.1.1 through OCLP 1.2.1. Everything will work nicely since your machine is supported by Metal.

Watch a recent tutorial video on Youtube and use the OCLP step by step semi-automated interface and you will do well. You can upgrade from your current OS without wiping the OS. I upgraded from High Sierra, Catalina and Big Sur on the 6 machines in my family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.