Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmiku914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
I have a iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) and I am going to upgrade the video card (voiding the :apple: warrenty).

Anyone know if the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB will work with a iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

In my searches online all I have seen is people upgrading to ATI Radeon HD 5750 Video Card 1GB, however I would like to have the latest :-D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, the GPU is not an expansion card so there's no way to upgrade it.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
According to the following link it has been done, but with a lower end video card.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3029120?start=0&tstart=0

As you have been advised it's not a viable option unless money is no object. If you absolutely have to have an upgraded graphics card then sell your current machine and replace it with one that has the graphics card you need.

There is an old saying in the racing community, you can't make a pig into a race horse but you sure can make an awfully fast pig. If you are looking for an awfully fast pig then go for it.

iMacs are NOT designed to upgrade the graphics cards, at the very least it's major surgery not to mention it probably will not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.