upgrade power mac G5 tower to intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iamryan21, Aug 13, 2010.

1. iamryan21 macrumors newbie

iamryan21

i need the ability to expand but not the power of even an 8 core, dont have the money either. so is the Power mac G5 Pci (e or x) the same case as the current gen mac pros, because it looks the same. if it is, would i be able to upgrade to like an intel core i5. if so please tell me what else i would need to upgrade besides the ram and hard drive. thanks

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No, the case is the same dimensions and mostly the same exterior, but it is totally rearranged inside. Not to mention, all the parts inside are different too (except the HDDs).

Your options seem to be:

-Buy an MP quad

Or, if the expansion isn't worth the price,

-Buy an iMac

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Make a hackintosh out of it. There are plenty of people who have done this with the powermac g5 case and had great success.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

While very doable this does take a fair bit of work. You end up with a great looking machine but it's not a simple matter of screwing in a new motherboard etc. You'll need a dremel, a fair bit of time and be prepared to do a fair bit of reading online. Check out the InsanelyMac mods forum and Aquamac's forum for info on how to do this. Trust me though, it's not for the faint of heart.