Upgrade PowerBook G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Apr 23, 2015.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

As I said in another thread, I may get a PowerBook G3 but one question. Can we upgrade the G3 processor?

Like 900mhz or 466mhz? I was looking on everymac and it claims these are upgrades for the PowerBook G3.

Currently this PowerBook G3 is a 292mhz , M4753 I am pretty sure.

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I believe there are ones for Wallstreets, I'm not sure about any other models.

3. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I think this PowerBook G3 is a Wallstreet, guess I will find out when I tear it down.:p

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Processor upgrades for most of the G3 series are out there, but they seem to be hard to find in my experience.

I'm not sure what's available for the Wallstreet. I know you can even put a G4 in a Pismo.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

The cpu speed betrays it as a Wallstreet 1st gen - i.e. a Wallstreet as opposed to the less buggy PDQs that followed. I think 292Mhz is your lot. PDQs went up to 300MHz and only Pismos had the aftermarket G3 and G4 upgrade cards.

You had to ship your Pismo off to have the card fitted. These are very hard to find now and fetch a lot on the used market. The 550Mhz G4 ran quite hot and the 933MHz G3 had thermal issues.

6. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

There were a few CPU upgrades for Lombards as well IIRC. They're actually super easy to install--the daughtercard just pops right out. It actually has less steps than the hard drive removal.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The CPU card in the Pismo(and I'd guess the Lombard) looks a lot like the one in the tray-loader iMacs. I had to take mine out to max the RAM, as one of the RAM sticks is on the underside of the CPU card(Just like the tray loaders).

I also had it out when I took the logic board out, and I'm going to do that again soon when I take it apart again to replace a capacitor on the board.

8. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

There are CPU upgrades for the Main Street, I had one. IIRC it was an advance exchange. I can't remember if it was a G3 or G4.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Actually, it seems as if even Wallsteets got some upgrade love. I just looked at Everymac's CPU upgrade page and there were quite a few daughtercards available back in the day. I had only heard of the few Pismo cards that people bought. Chances of finding one in the wild? Not much but you can dream.