Upgrade Pricing/Eligibility Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by am17, Jul 8, 2010.

1. am17 macrumors member

Hello all,

I have a question about upgrade eligibility for iPhone 4. I've been abroad in Spain for the past month and a half so haven't had a chance to call or visit AT&T to ask my questions.

Last year, I bought the 3GS and had it delivered on launch day. I'm the second line on a family plan with 4 lines, and it's a Premier account because I get a discount being a student at my school. This past March, I lost my iPhone so tried out a BlackBerry Bold for a month. I was given what the rep called an "Early Upgrade," and got the phone for slightly under $400, which was a discount over full retail price. I returned the Bold (froze too often) within 30 days to wait it out for the next-gen iPhone, and have been using a Samsung prepaid crap phone since. The rep told me my eligibility was reset based on when I purchased the 3GS in June 2009.

When I log on to my AT&T account, it quotes my price as $599 (!) no-commitment price, and Apple tells me I can buy it for $399 on November 20, 2010. The primary line on my account just bought the 3GS in March, and is eligible for the $399 pricing.

I am wondering if my pricing of $599 is correct when I haven't bought a phone since the 3GS. Could it have something to do with the fact that I do not currently have an iPhone or a data plan registered on my line? Would this change if I (temporarily) added an iPhone + data plan to my account again so that I could be eligible for $399 pricing?

Thanks a lot! I return to the States this weekend and look forward to buying a White iPhone 4 when available.

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Ask your parents to switch your line (temporarily) to the primary line.

That might fix your upgrade issue.

Depends on how much you all spend per month for your rate plan. My plan is over 100 a month, so it adds up to enough to always kick off the early upgrade. You may also need to add that data plan back on to get the rate high enough. Again, depends on your plan.

3. am17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'll look into that.

When I upgraded from the 3G to 3GS, my number was the secondary line and I was able to upgrade for $399 after a year. I guess that's why I'm wondering what's different about this year that I now have to pay full retail to upgrade after a year.

4. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

what you can do is add a new line to a family plan buy the iphone 4 and have the number switched back to your old number as long as you never use the new line then you only pay I think like 5 or 10 a month it may not be a great option but it is an option none the less, I had to do that to cancel my 3g card until the plan ran out just changed it from a data card to an additional line on the family plan better 10 a month for 6 months than $175 early termination fee

5. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Could be some sort of weirdness since you upgraded and returned the phone.