Upgrade Pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJAKO, Mar 28, 2009.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

This has probably been answered before, but I'm looking to see if there is anything recent about this.

I got the iPhone 3G last Sept and was looking to possibly upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out this summer. Because I'm not going to be at my 2year upgrade, what sort of pricing issues will I be looking at going into the new phone.

What did owners of the first iPhone do when upgrading to the 3G with still a year left of their contract?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Original iPhone users were a special case - they could upgrade to the iPhone 3G without having to re-up their contract and still get the subsidized price.

3. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

They had to pay $100.00 more for the iPhone 3G than new customers (8gb 299.00, 16gb 399.00)

4. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any ideas on how pricing will be from the 3G to the new iPhone if you are upgrading early?

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Who did?

I paid $299 for my 16 gig on the opening 3G launch day.

And I had an edge iPhone that I was transferring from.

DJAKO, no one knows on these boards. Might as well wait till the June announce and hope they give the same deal they did with iphone edge users to iphone 3g users, which i bet they will as apple KNOWS a good size portion of the market will want to upgrade in the first week.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Way to be daft. I explained it the post above you - at&t let original iPhone users upgrade with full subsidy and not renew their contract.

7. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Oh my bad. The peeps that had to pay more, were the ones that were eligable for their 1 year upgrade from other phones.

The reason iPhone edge owners didn't have to wait for an upgrade, was because they didn't get subsidized pricing on the iPhone edge.

This year, everyone that got subsidized pricing from signing a 2 year contract, will only be eligible for a 1 year upgrade pricing, which is between 75.00 and 125.00 (AT&T) off the full price of the new iPhone.

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

No, You did have to re-new your contract and start another 2-year from that date. I was only 1 year into my 2-year contract, and they charged me $299 for a 16GB 3G. I did however, have to agree to a NEW two year agreement. Thats why the phone is priced at $299 instead of 5 or 6 hundred.

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I must have been typing while you were posting, and didn't see your post.

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

There has been no official word on this regarding the iPhone. And I would not be surprised for the iPhone to be a special case for this and thus have a different case for upgrades of current owners.