Upgrade Processor or Memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by backtothefuture, Jul 26, 2013.

1. backtothefuture macrumors member

After seven years of worthy service, I'm finally putting my 12" Powerbook to pasture and getting a fresh MBA for my birthday.
    I'm getting a 13inch, 256, and will have a bit of money left over to upgrade.

Should I go with the 1.7 i7 processor upgrade or the 8 ram of memory upgrade?

I will mainly be using it to write/draft stuff in Pages, surf the web, watch stuff on Netflix, and play iTunes.

Thanks!

----------

As a follow up, I plan on having this MBA for quite a long time (5 years or so), so I guess the real question is which upgrade will provide the best benefit in the long run.

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Same answer as every other time this question is asked.

8gb ram

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, my answer would be both. :rolleyes:

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

memory first then processor if you can afford it.

5. mattferg macrumors 6502

Memory, memory every single time. Even SSD before processor.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

He did ask for one or the other...

I'd pick RAM too.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

True. But for his stated use, the correct answer would be "neither".

9. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I'm with ZBoater - you don't need either upgrade to the machine for that usage.

Excuse lazy question here and not searching but I heard drive and RAM upgrades on Air were difficult as they were soldered in so not as switchable as on other macs

10. TC25 macrumors 68020

Well, me, too, but I'd rather not deal with a certain poster who started an i7 jihad. :D

----------

If you don't know the correct answer, don't guess.

CPU & RAM - You cannot change once purchased.
    SSD - Replaceable but no one is selling them yet.

11. Tarrou8 macrumors member

Neither for your planned usage. If you are able to qualify for educational pricing, the cMBP would be more than enough for your needs.

12. mattferg macrumors 6502

cMBP is more expensive, has a less powerful GPU, a lower res screen and no SSD. Why would he want to buy this? :p

----------

RAM is soldered on and not able to be upgraded after purchase, hence why so many people recommend upgrading it. The SSD is not soldered on and is technically user replaceable, but ATM there is no third party way to get a replacement/upgrade part for the 2013 air, but there will be soon!

OP: Upgrade the RAM if you're going to have it for a long time. The sweet spot for the Air as a main computer is the i5/8/256.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

For your budget and usage pattern, perhaps. There are other people that can afford $450 more and need all the processing power and SSD space they can get. Learn to accept them. They are fellow Mac users too... :rolleyes:

14. mattferg macrumors 6502

Yawn, if you read through the forums and see what most people are buying, this seems to be it. It's the sweet spot for most people. Again proving you don't read anything people write and just recommend for them to spend more money than they need to.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Funny, I must have missed the poll or study that arrived at those numbers for you to be so definitive about it. Because the forums are sooooo representative of the Apple customer base...

Yawn indeed! :rolleyes:

16. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

He said he is going to keep the MBA for 5 years, there is absolutely no reason to not get the 8 GB RAM.

17. iterva macrumors regular

iterva

18. mattferg macrumors 6502

I missed the study where most people spend the full amount and get the ultimate, too? Can you link me to that? Or the study that says most people will even use the extra power?

19. Tarrou8 macrumors member

20. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

I agree. Ram slightly just for future resale value. Otherwise neither.

Maybe just put the money towards magic mouse/trackpad for the pages & writing use.

21. mattferg macrumors 6502

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm not the one going around saying my configuration is the "sweet spot" that will satisfy almost everyone. If you can afford the extra power, get it. If you can't afford it, make do without it. It is as simple as that. All this hot air about heat, battery life, etc. is just myths and superstitions that help make some more comfortable with their purchase while confusing others into making bad purchasing decisions. Be happy with your i5 purchase. It's not THAT big of a deal you didn't get the i7. You are only running 20% slower. Not something to get this worked up about. :rolleyes:

23. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

That. 4 gigs in 5 years time will be really crappy (it will be tight within 3 years, even). 8 gigs in 5 years time won't be great either, but it will be a lot better than 4.

edit:
    And anyone thinking that we've finally gotten to the point where computers come with enough RAM, i would point you to the last 70 years of computing where others have repeatedly made similar assertions and been proven wrong.

24. Tarrou8 macrumors member