Upgrade Processor or RAM - Can't Afford Both

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HelixOmnimedia, Dec 15, 2016.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

:rolleyes: Always about cost.

So going for the non-touch MacBook, don't see myself using it - don't really like it, so narrowed it down to what machines. But base model i've got some money to spare - so should I upgrade the processor? or the RAM? I can't afford both.

Main uses of the machines isn't anything too intense; standard web-browsing and emails, a lot of pages/number/keynote, iTunes, photo editing (in photos), I use handbrake to turn my DVDs to digital.

Or just stick with the base and save even more - but i do want to the change to last a good three/four years like my current one which is almost 6.

2. keviig macrumors 6502

With your use there really is no need for upgraded CPU or RAM :)

3. evec macrumors regular

run VM > upgrade RAM
    multimedia and file storage and Bootcamp > upgrade SSD 512GB
    Run very intensive program > upgrade CPU

For your usage
    SSD > Memory > CPU

4. Trixs macrumors regular

Save your money on unnecessary upgrades, go on a trip instead :).

5. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Go for Ram unless you are really pushing the machine non stop you wont notice it much. For Ram will make the device a lot more future proof

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Defintely go for ram, the CPU's improvement may not be that noticeable but more ram can be

7. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Double the RAM if you could.
    As of CPU ... you will be lucky to get a 10% performance increase with your hard earn money.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

RAM if you pick either. Do not bother with CPU in 99.9% of cases.

Any CPU in any mac available today will handle most regular workloads just fine.

And workloads that won't be handled by say, a base model Air or 13" Macbook Pro won't be handled much better by a higher end dual core. You'd need to go to say a quad core 15" machine or an iMac or Mac Pro.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You don't need either of the upgrades but the ram is the only one worth paying for in my opinion.

I would save the money and treat your loved ones.

10. linguist macrumors member

11. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Agreed with the above.

However, I think you'll also be fine with the base model based on your stated usage.

12. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I would definitely do RAM. You can get external storage and it'll be usable, CPUs are nearly all "fast enough", but when you run out of memory, you are looking at a factor of 100+ performance hit.

13. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

My understanding is that the i7's advantage over the i5 only kicks in with the quad core. In a 13', everything's dual core. Since I don't do video editing or gaming, I'm guessing I'd never notice the extra boost of the i7 in the 13".

14. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I always go RAM first. The cpu upgrade has a downside of less battery life even though the speed will be less noticeable at most times. However, I would say save the money and get Apple Care. If you are money constrained, this would be my recommendation since it is a rev A. Peace of mind may be worth the most to your enjoyment. If you already have it, or are a gambler (like me), go RAM, has more upside and less downside than a cpu upgrade.