Upgrade question-$40 fee-Trade in credit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Nov 11, 2014.

1. trlyka, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I have the 5 and will be getting the 6. My 5 is NOT happy with iOS 8. There are too many quirks to list, but this is a terrible update for the 5. I am hoping the 6 will not be plagued with the same issues :rolleyes:

I'm not doing the next program. I am eligible for an upgrade and will pay the $299 for 64 GB. I;d like to order online, but AT&T and Apple want to charge me a $40 upgrade fee. In the past, I usually went into the store and asked them to waive it and they did. If I call AT&T or Apple direct, will they waive it? I don't really have the time to go into a store. I prefer to just have it delivered.

My iPhone 5 is in near perfect condition. It's a 32 GB. Can I get a trade in credit for that? Or am I better off trying to sell it on eBay?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Some say AT&T has waived it for them, some say no luck. If it's happened in the past, I say you probably have a good chance.

I have never heard of Apple waiving it though. Don't really see how they have the power to do so...

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

It's a BS fee and they know it. It's like an application or install fee…..they can all be waived. That's why if I'm face to face I can get it waived. I was just hoping to do it online.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you have a FAN discount, you might be able to get AT&T to waive it. AT&T has cracked down on getting upgrade fees waived. When you purchase the phone and agree to the terms of the contract, you are agreeing to paying the $40 upgrade fee. Its all in the small print.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In not saying it's not a BS fee. What I am saying is I've never heard of Apple waiving it for anyone. I didn't think they had the authority to waive anything iny the Att side.

I've had fees waived (rather credited) online many times. It has always been after the fact that I've ordered.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Apple can't waive the fee. It's an AT&T-assessed fee that shows up on you bill. You have to contact AT&T to get it waived.

As for getting it waived, there are two possibilities: you can go to an AT&T store and order there, and have them waive the fee, or you can contact AT&T by phone after the upgrade fee is billed, and convince them to issue you a credit.

My money would be on going in-store. Even if they refuse, you 'll still have another chance when they bill you by calling up customer service.

y past results with this were mixed. Earlier years I was able to get it waived or credited, no problem. Then it got progressively harder and harder each year. The last time I tried it I ended up having to settle for a partial ($25) "courtesy credit."

I'm just glad I'm on T-Mobile now and don't have to deal with that anymore. :)

You'll get a trade-in credit for it, probably around $100 or so. Gazelle.com will take it off your hands for $130... or $155 if it's unlocked. Or you can take your chances on eBay. Looks like most of the iPhone 5 32GB models there with actual bids are going for around $250.

7. inboxer macrumors regular

You can probably sell an iPhone 5 32GB unlocked on eBay or Amazon for about $250 if it is in mint condition. Take out fees and shipping and you'll be left with under $200 and some time spent. If you want to sell it instantly, try Gazelle for $165 unlocked or BuyBackWorld for $170 unlocked. They pay for shipping, will send you a box, and do not deduct any seller fees, so the quote you see if the net amount you will receive.

8. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I'm not sure if you have a Best Buy in your area, but they'll give you $225 for an iPhone 5 with 32gb. They can do an AT&T upgrade just as much as Apple or the AT&T retail locations.

As for the waiving of the "upgrade" fee. This is only if you are on an older plan (ie. not Next). If you are on Next, that fee does not apply to your account.

When I upgraded to the 5, I did two lines. I did an online chat with a rep and had to very strongly convince them to even credit me one of the upgrade fees. They said it was a one time only deal and that on my next upgrade I wouldn't be eligible. I have since upgraded to two iPhone 6(s) and have yet to be billed by AT&T. I'm in the same boat, I'm hoping to convince them to waive it again this time.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Try reading through this MR thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451998