Upgrade Question - First Gen Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Trekkie, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I have the mac pro dual core, 2.66GHz. It has the ATI 1900XL.

It's still running strong, however I've become addicted to more monitors and I'm planning on getting a second one however I've been screwed by the discontinuation of the 23" DVI version because that's what I have as a main monitor.

So my choices are 20" or 30" now, or the new one with some adapter that isn't shipping.

So I'd like to get a 30" I think, and put the 23" to the side instead. yes I know there are cheaper monitors but I'm looking for some commonality out there.

However I also have a 19" LCD 1280x1024 I use for 'junk' (non-photography) things like iCal, mail, etc. To hook that + the 23 + the 30 up can that be done without investing in another video card?

2. DualShock macrumors 6502

Not directly related to your question, but have you looked into getting a refurb 23" cinema display from Apple? Seems they don't currently have any, but you never know, you may get lucky since refurb stuff comes and goes from Apple's online store.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

For 2+ monitors you need more video cards.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes, check this out before getting the 30" just because you may find some NEW 23" ACDs for $600 or so.

I love the 30" but remember that it's a monitor that you can't just throw on your desk. You will destroy your eyes if you sit to close. For the 30", you have to be at least four feet or so away from the display when sitting at your desk.

Yes, I am sure that there's some God awful way of doing it with two DVIs but since you have the slots getting another GFX card would be the best solution.

5. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Whaatt? OMG , I´m blind,I´m blind!!! Wait a second,no I´m not?

No,you dont have to sit 4 feet away.
    Been working with 30" screens for years for several hours per day now and am just fine,thank you.
    Even with palettes on the side (ps,illustrator,lr or finalcut) you are just fine with a 2 feet distace. Your eyes are concentrated on the middle 50% of the screen most of the time,anyway.
    Your eyes are used to moving,try to watch a person driving a car for example...

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Check it!

To each their own, I've been working with 30" since their introduction, and large monitors for years in photo and video, and eye strain HAPPENS. If you're looking at the middle 50% of the screen most of the time then you're wasting 50% of your 30" and maybe a 23" would have been a better solution.

Proper seating will have you looking at the WHOLE monitor making it a wonderful tool, but there ARE health risks to using it improperly.... just like a keyboard.

7. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Dude,step off your white horse...been working in photo/video production for the last 16 years so I think by know what setups cause me eyestrain and what doesnt. Wouldnt you think so?

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

I actually need a deeper desk to accommodate a 24", as I'm currently a little too close. My eyes are definitely letting me know. ;) (Still need to get a colorimeter, which should help as well. It's still a tad bright).

9. rhyx macrumors 6502

Actually he'll need more video cards if he goes to 3 or more monitors.

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Relax.

You don't handle the truth too well I see.

And as I said, to each their own, if it doesn't cause you eyestrain, good for you.

11. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

yeah lets not derail this into a flame war.

yeah been checking the refurb section every few days, unfortunately I'm broke for a week ro two so hopefully one shows up then. Not really wanting to go 30" if I don't have too, but I'm a bit disappointed in the new LED one = kill the old one, but hey, that's apple.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

That is 2+...more than 2

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you are still looking for a high end panel then your best bet is to go NEC, or find the Dells and other run of the mill monitors with the H-IPS panels in them.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

HP might fit the bill, if cost is an issue for the NEC. :)