Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmfanatic24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'm the main number on my account where we have a family plan so I'm eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. I'm currently eligible because I got the 4 the day it came out.

Let's say I buy the 4S the day it comes out and Apple comes out with the next iteration of the iPhone in the Summer, before my 12 month window comes up. Would I just pay an extra fee to get early upgrade or would I have to pay the full unsubsidized price?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
FYI the 12 month upgrade cycle is done. This will be your last one. Your next phone will be on a 20 month upgrade cycle regardless of your plan or how much money you drop on ATT or VZW each month. They changed this last month.

Of course ATT seems to randomly excellerate some people's eligibility but if you are playing it by the book then just know if you upgrade now it might be 20 months before you qualify for a fully subsidized phone. Otherwise it's $250+ the phone cost.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
FYI the 12 month upgrade cycle is done. This will be your last one. Your next phone will be on a 20 month upgrade cycle regardless of your plan or how much money you drop on ATT or VZW each month. They changed this last month.

Of course ATT seems to randomly excellerate some people's eligibility but if you are playing it by the book then just know if you upgrade now it might be 20 months before you qualify for a fully subsidized phone. Otherwise it's $250+ the phone cost.

or etf plus new carrier which is most of the time cheaper

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.