Upgrade Question - Probably Really Obvious

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pdjudd, Jun 10, 2011.

1. pdjudd macrumors 601

Hello all.

I am doing some work on a friends 2006 era MBP that has not been upgraded in a while. I plan on upgrading the stock config with a new HD (500 gig), new RAM (4 gig) and upgrading Snow Leopard. I got a kit from OWC that has a drive enclosure with the appropriate hard drive and I think I have everything covered properly except for one thing.

I plan on installing Snow Leopard fresh on the new drive (the 500 gig one) and use migration assistant to transfer all the data from a drive that had Leopard on it - essentially dealing with 2 versions of OSX. I have done this on my laptop that had SL on it before so I am pretty sure that it will work (and I have no reason to think it won’t work - it is Apple and Migration assistant should be version agnostic for upgrading), but I want one last piece of confirmation. I have no reason to think it will not work, but paranoid me wants to be sure.

My overall process is to install the HD, install the RAM and then upgrade and transfer everything to Snow Leopard and then run the latest Delta upgrade. I have all the software.

Plan B is to clone the old drive using CCC onto the new drive and then do the upgrade after the install, but I figure plan A would work just as well.

Can anybody confirm that my actions will work properly. I already know I can do the upgrade - I already replaced my screen on my macbook and compared to that, this looks like cakewalk. I am not worried about that.

Thanks.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you're doing a big version jump, (10.6.0/10.6.3) to present 10.6.7, I'd recommend downloading the full Combo update (here). It might just 'be me,' but I feel that doing the combo instead of the multiple deltas results in a faster system that is more stable. One switch I'd make to your workflow is to install SL and upgrade it before running the migration assistant to get the data off the old drive in the enclosure. That way you ensure that you have the latest version of Migration Assistant.

Otherwise, your process will work fine :)