Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctordowling

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
So I have a family plan with three phones. The main line is up for an upgrade, the other two aren't (one dumbphone and my iPhone 4 is on the other). I want to upgrade the main line to an iPhone 4 (16GB) and pay the $199, wait a few days, call AT&T tell them I dropped it or it fell in a pool or something and is completely broken and have them take off the data plan and add my old non-smartphone back on to that line. That way, I can turn around and sell it on eBay for pure profit (asking price is $700+) which would translate to around $500 of profit. :D

Do any of you see any flaws in this plan? I know that my upgrade eligibility would be used up and pushed forward a year but besides that is there really anything that could go wrong?

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
So I have a family plan with three phones. The main line is up for an upgrade, the other two aren't (one dumbphone and my iPhone 4 is on the other). I want to upgrade the main line to an iPhone 4 (16GB) and pay the $199, wait a few days, call AT&T tell them I dropped it or it fell in a pool or something and is completely broken and have them take off the data plan and add my old non-smartphone back on to that line. That way, I can turn around and sell it on eBay for pure profit (asking price is $700+) which would translate to around $500 of profit. :D

Do any of you see any flaws in this plan? I know that my upgrade eligibility would be used up and pushed forward a year but besides that is there really anything that could go wrong?

Instead of lying and making up an elaborate story, why don't you...

1) Purchase an iPhone 4 at an upgrade price
2a) Sell said iPhone 4 on eBay while you...
2b) Visit a local AT&T store and ask for a new SIM card to transfer service since the iPhone 4's mini SIM card will not be compatible with old phone unless you have an adaptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.