Upgrade question - switching lines

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grimreaper1377, Jul 25, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm going to buy an iPhone tomorrow, but I want to confirm one last time now that people have more experience with it if I can get an iphone for the $199/$299 price.

Line A - my line that's not eligible for upgrade
    Line B - other person's line who is eligible for upgrade

I'm on a family plan, and as of right now, Line A is not eligible for an upgrade. However, Line B is. So what I was thinking is this: Go tomorrow and buy it for the normal price and get it activated on Line B. When I get home, swap the sim cards so that the numbers don't get mixed up. Call AT&T, and have them move the iPhone plan from Line B to Line A. I know that I could just get a MediaNet plan, but Line B is gonna have a data plan, so Line A might as well get the one with Visual Voicemail since I'm on the iPhone.

Please tell me if this is possible.

2. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem. I changed the service from Line B to Line A,which is the line that I wanted the 3G on, then when I went in to upgrade to the 3G on Line A, there was no problems or questions. If you did it my way, you would have to wait a day or two for the service to transfer from Line B to Line A. Had no hassle doing it that way.

3. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

So AT&T can move the plan over from one line to another? And visual voicemail/everything else works?

4. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

5. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

6. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

7. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hi, yes ATT will do everything for you. do NOT try to go home and change things around. Tell them exactly what you want to do....

Upgrade B but have the iPhone on A. they will do it for you. good luck. i also recommend going to an ATT store and not an apple store for this type of procedure. good luck.

9. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Would I need to do all of it in-store, or can I do it over the phone? I assume it would be safer to get it all sorted out in an AT&T store...but I've heard they're a little grumpier/meaner than Apple Stores

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

personally, i wouldnt care if they were rude. i would be more worried about one company messing up my plans, and in that aspect i trust ATT. i would also recommend getting everything done in the store. believe me, i did the same thing on launch day and it didnt take them more than 10 minutes. keep in mind they might give you two new sims for the numbers so tell that person their phone might go dead until you give it to them. good luck.

11. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

ok. thanks for the advice.

anybody else have experience with this type of thing?