Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrJM, Nov 18, 2016.

1. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

Hello!

Apologies if this has been asked previously, I have a question!

I've currently got a 13inch late 2011 MacBook Pro. I got it new 5 years ago, its only the base model but Ive upgraded to 8gb ram and put in an SSD.

It still works ok but it can get a little sluggish sometimes. It doesn't feel as responsive as it did! Its mainly used for internet, office, iTunes, photos etc. I do like to do a bit of tinkering with photoshop, iMovie etc which it has been great for and occasional World of Warcraft (on the lowest settings known to man! No raids for me!) lol

Im thinking it might be time to upgrade and getting the non touch bar MacBook pro. The touch bar one is just too much money and I don't think I could justify the price.

Am i likely to notice a big difference? Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation and upgraded? I tend to have my MacBooks for about 5 years.

Thanks for your input, its a lot of money to drop on a new computer and I want to be sure before I drop the cash!

:)

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

The performance will be somewhat faster, especially app loading. But, I think the biggest difference will be in the form factor and screen. The unit is a 1.5 pounds less, and smaller and thinner. The screen is dramatically different. Much higher resolution, brighter, etc. Go give on a try at an Apple store and see what you think.

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I think it will be a great upgrade coming from a 2011 model. I would buy with confidence! Based on your usage, this one should carry you through another 5-6 years with ease.

4. MrJM thread starter macrumors 6502

MrJM

Thanks! I've had a go with one in store but I don't think this gives an accurate representation of using one. I think Im just going to have to bite the bullet!!

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Sweet! I think you're going to really enjoy it.

6. frank33v macrumors member

If you don't live to far from an apple store you have nothing to lose as you can return it. I am in the exact same situation and I have a 2016 13" nonTB base model I am trying out now. It is faster, the screen is alot nicer, and the speakers are a ton better. My 2011 battery is toast and needs to be replaced so for me the battery life is great.

I will admit that I enjoy the "beefiness" of the 2011. It has some balance/heft to it as I use it alot on my lap on the couch and I miss a little of that with the smaller 2016. But the portability of the 2016 makes up for it.

I am on the fence on the new keyboard. It is easier to press the keys so it feels like I can type faster but I am making a ton of mistakes. There is very little spacing between the keys and the edge of the keyboard so it's harder to get a feel for where the keys should be...the escape key is a good example as I can't feel the edge to find it...(not sure if that makes sense). I am sure with time I will acclimate to it's different key spacing but for now it is a little foreign.

7. motime macrumors 6502

Dude just upgrade to the 2015 model and save a lot of money. It is a matured product with a better keyboard, better battery and ports. Runs osx like a boss. Especially with new issues propping up, at this point you have got to be a moron to buy the new one.

8. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I could say the same thing about someone buying a 2015 machine with 2016 money that's got 2013 parts.

9. frank33v macrumors member

How do you save alot of money buying a new 2015 model? If you spec them out the same (upgrade the SSD to 256 to match the base 2016) they are the same price ??

I have considered buying a 2015 but the price is the same as the 2016 and I have zero issues with the 2016 I am trying now. I don't want to deal with craigslist and a refurb from apple will only save you $100.

10. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

Your definition of better is subject to opinion. I think most people that have either of the three models are not disappointed, including myself.

11. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

The funny thing is we were told the same thing when the original retinas came out. 4.5 years with an original 2012 retina and I've had zero regrets. Looking forward to another 4-5 years with the 2016.

12. motime macrumors 6502

Yes you have a refurbished option. I agree the 13 inch without touch bar isn't as ridiculously priced as the other models so it isn't a terrible upgrade.

Of course they aren't disappointed, they have to justify their purchases somehow. It is a marginal upgrade, at an insane price and worse in a lot of ways. To any rational person the price isn't worth the upgrade. As mentioned above I am referring to the new models sans the 13 base w/o touchbar.

Yeah sure buddy, keep telling yourself that, this launch is a lot different than the retina launch. The retina screen was a massive improvement, how can any sane person even compare the two?

13. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

History repeats itself. People made a big deal about losing the ethernet port and super drive. You don't have to take my word for it, read the archived threads. I've been in this forum for over a decade. It's always the same old story. The only thing that's changed is that Apple seems to have inflated their price more then the rest of the world. Though I can see a price drop coming right after the holiday return period expires.

14. motime macrumors 6502

The reaction is irrelevant, I couldn't care any less about the reaction. However factually speaking the new MBP offers nothing as an upgrade that can even compare to the instant benefits a retina screen brought, and yes as you said, the price hike is even worse.

15. MrJM thread starter macrumors 6502

MrJM

Thanks for all the replies. I've not bought one yet, still debating! Its a lot of money for any MacBook whichever way you slice it so I need to be 100%.

16. eldervovichka macrumors regular

I upgraded from a 2011 13 MacBook Pro to a new 2016 15 MacBook Pro. I am loving this new machine, everything about it. This is a half a pound lighter and added only about an inch in length. Thiner! Faster! Better in every way. I like the Touch Bar, still getting used to it. Definitely something to think about!