Upgrade question...

captainmarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Greetings!

FNG here.

Quick question, actually, I'm hoping for a simple confirmation.

Based on my knowledge, I can upgrade my 5.1 Mac Pro 8 core 2.4ghz to a 12 core 3.46ghz processor just by swapping the trays, and then install my 64G of RAM in the new processor tray.

Correct?

Thanks in advance.

kohlson

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2010
Yes. Note that you should not take a dual-processor tray from a 2009 cMP and place into a 2010/2012.

You can also just buy CPUs and install. If this is a true 2010/2012 5,1, then it's easier than a 2009 dual processor. 2009 systems need to have the CPUs delidded. See the upgrade threads for more information.

captainmarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks. It is a true 2010/2012 5.1 dual quad core. Purchased in December 2010/January 2011. So I'm pretty sure it's a straight tray swap.

Not sure about installing the CPU's. That would be a first for me. Although I've been dealing with everything else internally in all my computers since 1997. But drives, RAM, audio cards, etc. seem to be less involved than installing the actual CPU.

kohlson

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2010
Very straightforward. Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - tim.id.autim.id.au/laptops/apple/macpro/macpro_mid2010.pdf

You can get used CPUs off Ebay - I think they run $100-ish for the set.

Replacing CPUs is more involved than replacing RAM or swapping a tray, but it's not hard, especially if you follow the instructions. My recommendation is to use the guide. Use YouTube as an overview, but I've seen many instances there of people believing they're smarter than the design engineers. Took me about 30 minutes to upgrade a single CPU. It's the first one I've done on a cMP, but I am very comfortable with taking things apart and putting them back together.

captainmarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Very straightforward. Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - tim.id.autim.id.au/laptops/apple/macpro/macpro_mid2010.pdf

You can get used CPUs off Ebay - I think they run $100-ish for the set.

Replacing CPUs is more involved than replacing RAM or swapping a tray, but it's not hard, especially if you follow the instructions. My recommendation is to use the guide. Use YouTube as an overview, but I've seen many instances there of people believing they're smarter than the design engineers. Took me about 30 minutes to upgrade a single CPU. It's the first one I've done on a cMP, but I am very comfortable with taking things apart and putting them back together.
Man, thanks! You are a handy guy to know!

I will endeavor to complete this task myself. Thanks for the confidence booster.

kohlson

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2010
Read the instructions in the Guide and follow them. Watch a couple of YouTube vids to get the general idea. Have the appropriate tools around (if memory serves, the appropriate long-handled Allen wrench, some thermal paste, some alcohol to clean off the old paste with, etc). It's very satisfying.

All that said, after my update I didn't notice much improvement in the way of interactive performance. It grunts through some Handbrake jobs more quickly, though. After next week, this will be my 4K FCPX system, so this was in preparation of that. You may also consider, if you don't have already:
- SSD - this is really a must.Speeds booting and then some.
- USB3 PCIe board - cheap, and handy for reading/writing external media
- Better graphics card

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Greetings!

FNG here.

Quick question, actually, I'm hoping for a simple confirmation.

Based on my knowledge, I can upgrade my 5.1 Mac Pro 8 core 2.4ghz to a 12 core 3.46ghz processor just by swapping the trays, and then install my 64G of RAM in the new processor tray.

Correct?

Thanks in advance.
This suggests you already have the necessary tray and therefore all you need to do is swap the CPUs.

captainmarko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Based on my research, that is correct. And I have already ordered the new processors.