Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prechrchet, Jan 5, 2010.

1. prechrchet macrumors regular

I am considering getting a Mac Pro on ebay, but I am a little disappointed in the Video Card that it comes with.

Question: if I buy the machine anyway, how easy is it to upgrade the Video Card? Is it just a matter of swapping out the old card for the new?

Thank you

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I installed a video card in a desktop Mac. I don't see why it would be a big deal with a Mac Pro. Call one of the catalog companies and find out which cards are compatible, just to be reassured.

3. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

Definitely it is very easy to swap out a video card. Just make sure its mac compatible and also that its the correct interface (i.e. pci-x, agp), not really sure what the Mac Pro has that you're looking at, but I'm guessing its PCI-express. But yeah, probably the easiest upgrade one can do to a computer, so go for it!

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Swap out is easy, as already mentioned on the other posts. Be careful since there aren't a lot of empty places to grab a card to pull it out.

I have replaced mine - now I have the old video card and a capacitor that I broke off when I removed the card from the slot. :D

5. prechrchet thread starter macrumors regular

Oops! :)