Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnumJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
I currently have a 3g 8gb (jb) and considering upgrading to a 3gs 16 or 32gb. My question, does AT&T activated the phone in the store now with the latest firmware, or can I bring it home and install 3.12 firmware, and then jailbreak it? If they do activated is it possible to roll back to 3.12 and jailbreak it then?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
If you are going to get a subsidized iPhone, AT&T will definitely activate it before you leave the store. No way around that. You could try asking them not to upgrade the firmware, but I don't know how much luck you'll have with that. As for downgrading, there is no way to downgrade a 3GS phone that does not already have its 3.1.2 SHSH saved.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I currently have a 3g 8gb (jb) and considering upgrading to a 3gs 16 or 32gb. My question, does AT&T activated the phone in the store now with the latest firmware, or can I bring it home and install 3.12 firmware, and then jailbreak it? If they do activated is it possible to roll back to 3.12 and jailbreak it then?

Depends, do you want a subsidized phone? You could buy 1-unsibsidized iPhone per day, which won't be activated. As for the firmware on it, no upgrades are performed, they only activate the device once out of the box (if you are buying a subsidized device). Depending on the stock in the store you buy from, might get a iPhone with 3.1.2 since 3.1.3 just came out. If so, you will be able to jailbreak it with Pwnage Tool (recommended). :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The longer you take the better the odds of getting the latest 3.1.3
I dont think AT&T would go thru the update process right then and there when they activate your iphone. That could take a while.
Most likelly they will just activate it and give it to you.

MagnumJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Thanks everyone for your replies. I saw on iClarify there's a Pwnage tool to JB 3.1.3 so either way I think I can jailbreak it. I may wait till Jun/Jul for the next (newest) iPhone since that's the time frame Apple normally releases it.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
just to add of course

Thanks everyone for your replies. I saw on iClarify there's a Pwnage tool to JB 3.1.3 so either way I think I can jailbreak it. I may wait till Jun/Jul for the next (newest) iPhone since that's the time frame Apple normally releases it.

it might be a while after 4G is released before there is a jb. took about a month for the 3GS. Apple also getting smarter as we go! then again so are the Dev-Team and Geohot.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Read the tutorial again.
It's only possible if your 3GS is already jb to update it to custom 3.1.3 from pwnage. If it's stock 3.1.3 it's not possible to jb it at the moment.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
It's nice, when I got mine a few weeks ago it still had 3.1.2 on it, so I just had to run blackra1n to jailbreak it. I'd say, at this point, you might be out of luck if you're hoping to get one without 3.1.3 preloaded on it. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.