Upgrade Questions!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iamdavekennedy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

So, after many um's and more ah's yesterday in store, I decided I'd not be getting the 16GB Retina 15" and instead (for £200 more and £140 back in App Store credit via 2 gift cards - thank god for separate purchase loopholes) getting a 21.5" iMac and 13" Ivy MBP instead.

Just been on Crucial and ran the RAM scanner and it's saying my iMac has 4 RAM slots, and only 2 are occupied. I'm going to put 16GB (and an SSD) into this, but I was just curious.. is there any difference in using 4 x 4GB to reach sixteen, rather than 2 X 8GB and leaving 2 slots free still?

I'm thinking there must be *some* difference as a 2 x 8GB kit from Crucial is £110 or so, against a 2 X 4GB for £30 (so two totalling £60) is there any reason i'd be better spending £50 more and leaving two RAM trays empty?

I'll have to spend £110 for the MBP either way, but i'd rather total £160 than £220 if I can.

Someone with some knowledge about these things care to enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

David

2. Matador Red macrumors member

Why not add the 2x8 in your empty slots and have 20gb when added to the stock 4gb. Not sure why you would want to run empty slots?

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you went with the 2x8GB kit, you could have 20GB total in your iMac. There is no reason to remove the original memory.

You didn't say what you're using your iMac for, but another choice is adding a 2x4GB kit to give you 12GB and then see if you really need more. In that case you could then replace the Apple supplied memory.

Note that in some cases you will need the original Apple memory for service. it's rare, but it does happen. So hold on to it if you remove it from the iMac.

4. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

I know OWC state that the 27" models can go up to 32GB I wasn't aware the 21"5 could go above 16GB however?

And I don't know what the implications of what you're suggesting might have, either way i'd still be buying 2x8 rather than 4x8 so it's still the more expensive option, mainly wondering if there is a downside to the cheaper option.

That said, if anyone has anything to suggest that you can put 32GB into a 21.5" let me know, this is my 'work' computer so it would benefit more from the additional RAM than the 13" by any means.

----------

Cheers, again it's more about the implications of taking the cheaper option here, if there are any?

I'm a Graphic Designer so primarily the computer is used for Adobe applications, the RAM will mostly be going in for any video work etc, and occasional 3D work.

5. Bear macrumors G3

The OWC page I looked at includes the 21.5" iMacs in the list that can go to 32GB. So the suggestion that you get the 2x8GB and go to 20GB of ram is valid.

So the downside of getting 4x4GB is that if you need more ram, you will have wasted the upgrade you originally did.

6. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't mean to come across as if I were invalidating your suggestion at all, sorry about that! Yeah for future upgrade options it may be better to take the more condensed and more expensive option this time round, I agree.

So I take it there is no difference regarding performance depending on the way it's split (as long as still paired amounts of RAM) then?

7. Bear macrumors G3

Having memory kits of 2 different sizes has no impact on the system performance (other than that provided by having the memory of course :D).

Just stick the memory you buy in the 2 empty slots. I forget whether it's the right side or the left side memory slots that are empty initially.

8. iamdavekennedy thread starter macrumors regular

Will do, cheers for your help sir!

Now to look up the swap for this gen of iMac, hope it's not a suction cup job! haha