Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
A few questions from someone woefully uninformed:

1. There's been some talk about unlocked or sim free models not being available for a while. I'm confused. I've bought my last 2 unlocked models on launch date. Perhaps there is a difference between unlocked and sim free? I never had a problem with my unlocked version when replacing the sim when traveling abroad. Is that because I use GSM in the US where I reside and get GSM when I travel? Is CDMA used widely outside the US?

1a. In the past, I have purchased the phone with cash. If I go with the Apple Upgrade program, do I have to choose a carrier? Does the program have any effect on when I can purchase unlocked?

2. I plan to sell my 6 on eBay. Is that the best option? Does listing it early, like as soon as I get my new phone, make a big difference in selling price? I'm concerned that I'll be getting in the selling market late if I have to wait for an unlocked version to become available.

3. I've always gotten the maximum capacity model, 128gb as of late. I have a ton of music in high quality. The 128gb has suited me OK, but I have to rotate my music due to space limitations. Not a big deal though. However, I'm undecided about 256gb. I keep thinking it will have a better resale value (if I don't use the Apple upgrade program). Do you think the resale value should influence my decision?

Thanks.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
A few questions from someone woefully uninformed:

1. There's been some talk about unlocked or sim free models not being available for a while. I'm confused. I've bought my last 2 unlocked models on launch date. Perhaps there is a difference between unlocked and sim free? I never had a problem with my unlocked version when replacing the sim when traveling abroad. Is that because I use GSM in the US where I reside and get GSM when I travel? Is CDMA used widely outside the US?
I believe this used to be the case, but is no longer the case.

1a. In the past, I have purchased the phone with cash. If I go with the Apple Upgrade program, do I have to choose a carrier? Does the program have any effect on when I can purchase unlocked?
The device you receive is factory unlocked, but I believe you have to activate it in store and it require a carrier.

2. I plan to sell my 6 on eBay. Is that the best option? Does listing it early, like as soon as I get my new phone, make a big difference in selling price? I'm concerned that I'll be getting in the selling market late if I have to wait for an unlocked version to become available.
This is always cloudy. I would say eBay is the best balance of convenience and value. Sites like Gazelle are unbelievably convenient but they undercut the price by about $100. I keep all my devices' packaging, so selling on eBay can be a little easier.

3. I've always gotten the maximum capacity model, 128gb as of late. I have a ton of music in high quality. The 128gb has suited me OK, but I have to rotate my music due to space limitations. Not a big deal though. However, I'm undecided about 256gb. I keep thinking it will have a better resale value (if I don't use the Apple upgrade program). Do you think the resale value should influence my decision?
I wouldn't buy a device based on resale value. Anything can happen in a year. The good news is, you're at the same price point for the iPhone 7 256GB model as you were on previous 128 GB models.
Thanks.
See my comments in bold. Best of luck!

Reactions: gsusser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.