Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Boomba05, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Boomba05 macrumors newbie

After purchasing my MacBook about a year ago and seeing the light, I just couldn't use my old PC anymore and bought a mac pro. As I wait the three-plus weeks for it to arrive, I have a few questions about the automatic upgrades I plan on making.

Firstly, I plan on upgrading to a 500GB HDD (for the extra cache). As far as upgrading goes, do I just pop in the new HDD, put in the OSX disk and voila? Or is there other necessary steps I need to follow before hand, or things I need to have ready (this will be a brand new computer anyway, nothing to worry about losing).

Secondly, more memory. I plan on buying another 2G to bump my total to 4G, no problems with that, right? I'm just a bit wary about any inconsistencies or hardware issues switching myself from PC to Mac.

Thanks a ton in advance!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I didn't know you even needed to put the OS X disk in. I thought it'd just give you a prompt to format when you turn it on.

No problem with the RAM. Move the bottom riser's DIMM to the top and put your two on the bottom. You'll get the added benefits (whatever they are) of having four identical DIMMs.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

put the new drive in, pop your leopard disk in hold down the C key so it
    boots from the disk go to the menu bar click disk utilitys make sure its GUID,
    format it hfs+(journaled) and then install the OS

4. Boomba05 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a laptop I'm getting, its the Mac Pro...3.5" drives fit

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

ok sorry misread the post & edited it