Upgrade RAM + HDD: where?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nampramos, Apr 5, 2011.

1. nampramos macrumors 6502

Hi,

Would someone mind spending some time telling me a few stores where I can get some nice prices for an HDD and RAM?

I need 2x4GB DDR3 1066 PC3 8500 for the RAM;
    and I was thinking in buying the Western Digital AV-25 WD5000BUDT 500GB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s as HDD.

I live in Sweden but the shop can either be in USA or Europe. If someone knows a shop from outside Europe that would sell tax free, even better.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Customs fees will be added to any items bought outside the EU. My recommendation is to buy them from Sweden. Shipping usually costs quite a lot if you buy from another country and it's not worth the hassle. You might save few kronor if you buy from Germany for instance but to guarantee the best warranty etc, buy from a Swedish reseller.

NewEgg does not ship internationally.

3. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Customs won´t be a problem because items will be brough by a friend from USA.
    So if someone could tell me what the best place to buy is, let me know.
    I already looked at newegg, would like to have some other options to compare.
    Thanks.

4. Cantisama macrumors member

Also look at amazon.com and buy.com.
    Newegg usually has the best price for ram and hdd.

5. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

For the RAM, which one?
    Crucial
    G.Skill
    Mushkin

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Doesn't much matter. I use crucial, but I'd just go with whatever's cheaper.

7. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking at buy.com:

Crucial 2x4Gb for $84.99
    WD Scorpio WD5000BUDT 500 GB 32MB Cache for $63.24

Still, I've seen people here buying memory for $65...

Anyone think I can find cheaper somewhere else?

Newegg, amazon and crucial oficial web page are more expensive.

8. Cantisama macrumors member

I haven't seen Crucial cheaper than that. It is generally a bit more expensive than the other brands, but as Crucial is my favorite laptop ram manufacturer I went with them as well (was $92 at the time from newegg).

Reports of $65 8gb 10600 laptop ram are short-term deals, usually not available for longer than a day. The average price is usually about $80.

9. DarkFlame macrumors regular

I just bought 8GB of G.Skill s 120GB Vertex 3 SSD

I can say hands down that I do not need that much ram unless im under specific circumstances when I have like 20 applications open. It helps, I paid 73 shipped.

The SSD drive however is what I recommend the most. - I have come to the conclusion that this drive is the best upgrade in over 10 years for a computer. It is as significant to me as the first time I was able to burn mp3s on to a cd with an 8X CD Burner that cost me 150 dollars. After that, portable USBs drives - and now this. SSD = INSTANT response time. It is quite stunning.

Newegg/amazon/buy.com - newegg is by far the best w/ their prices and customer service.

10. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

I really need more memory at the moment. I have only 2GB and it is clearly not enough.
    I also need more space, since I have only 160GB and it is constantly full.
    I could use an external HDD, but since I need to share files between OS X and Windows, the external HDD can't be on a OS X partition, which makes the transfers very slow and it can't be on FAT32 because it doesn't accept files bigger than 4GB.