upgrade ram on CD Macbook...worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jayhawk85, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Jayhawk85 macrumors member

Jayhawk85

I've got the 1st gen 2.0ghz Macbook with 1gb of ram. I recently upgraded to a 200 gig 4200 rpm hard drive. It was a great deal and the speed is really not a factor for me. Having the extra space is great. Now I'm looking to upgrade the ram. It currently has 2x512mb sticks. Will upgrading to 2x1gb sticks (the max that this comp can handle) give a significant boost in performance? Or should I get a faster hard drive? I could probably do 1 of these 2 upgrades, but not both considering I've already bought one new hard drive. Most of my work on the computer is word processing, Keynote presentations, music, and movies. I do some Garageband recording also but no heavy graphics work. Appreciate the input!

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I'd think it s a good deal to go for the ram, since your drive is a 4200, then when you do something that requires more ram it won't be going into your "slow" HD your ram will take care of it, plus you just bought that drive i don't think you should replace it, had you not bought it i would have said go for a faster one.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend buying a 2GB stick and having 2.5GB RAM :)

They're cheap, very cheap...

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise the limit

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No worky. It's a Core Duo - limited to 2x 1GB RAM.

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Hey, I have the same MB as you do.
    Yes, upgrading the RAM will give you a boost, but since you've downgraded in HD speed Im not sure. Then again, its to prevent your system from running to your HD all the time, so it could help.

Doesnt work, thats the problem I faced a few minutes ago when my 2GB ram arrived.

1x2GB will work
    2x1GB will work
    But anything over 2GB wont work on a Core Duo.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Best with 2x 1GB to enable dual channel mode. Otherwise the overhead of sharing the RAM with the graphics chip slows the rest of the system down.

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Are you serious? So I have to send it back?

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

From Macworld first look review at the MacBook...
    http://www.macworld.com/article/50949/2006/05/macbookfaq.html

9. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

If you're running Leopard, I'd definitely recommend upping your memory to 2 GB. It'll run quite a bit better if you like to keep several apps open at a given time.

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, thats gonna have to wait cause I have midterms and **** so I cant send it back right now.

11. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I just ordered 4gb of ram from newegg for $89 :) Should be here monday/tuesday next week.

12. Jayhawk85 thread starter macrumors member

Jayhawk85

Alrighty then

I'm going to go ahead with the RAM upgrade, $46 from Crucial.com seems like a pretty good deal to me. Maybe if my sister decides to upgrade her hard drive I'll give her my 4200 and get myself a 7200. Thanks for the tips!