Upgrade RAM or hardrive to speed up Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thriftymac, Mar 24, 2008.

1. thriftymac macrumors newbie

Our G4 Powerbook 1Ghz (firewire 800) with 1GB of RAM (2 512MB chips) can be a bit slow. We get the spinning beach ball when switching applications. My wife and I use it with two user accounts that we switch back and forth from.

The hard drive is quite full (10 gb of free space). Here's my question - Would it make more sense to upgrade the hard drive or the ram? Space isn't an issue since I can take off some files. The current drive is the original 4200rpm. The apps we normally run are mail, quicken, firefox, iphoto. Sometimes I run photoshop but not too often.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What's the most that the pb will take? If it will take 2 gig or more for less than an exiorbitant amount, I'd go that way first.

Another thing to do is get a external fw800 drive and boot from it. Even if it doesn't make much of a difference, you can still use the extra storage on it. Either that, or get a 7200 rpm notebook drive and set your old one up in an external enclosure.

3. thriftymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I appreciate it.

It looks like it takes 2GB and it would be about $120.
    Do you have a favorite place to get RAM?

I was also thinking about setting up my iMac G5 1.6ghz as a media server for photos and music. So I could free up some space on the book. Have you tried something like this?