Upgrade RAM or holdoff?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeefJerky, Jun 18, 2014.

1. BeefJerky, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014

BeefJerky macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I've noticed that if I run iTunes, Safari and Word at the same time, my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro becomes sluggish. It has 4 GB RAM and is running the latest OS.

I'm guessing that in not too much time the MacBook Pro will gradually become unsupported from future updates, especially since it just grazed through the continuity feature released in Yosemite.

My question is, should I upgrade the ram to 8 GB - 16 GB or wait it out until I purchase a new machine in 1-2 years?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are many reports that Mavericks does not like 4GB of ram, even though it has a more efficient memory manager.

Look at your Activity Monitor and see what the memory pressure says, if you see it in the read, its doing a lot of swapping.

I'm assuming that you have a non retina MBP, if you have the retina model, you cannot upgrade the ram, as its soldered onto the logic board.

Do you have a hard drive or SSD - that will help the sluggish feeling as well.

[MOD NOTE]
    I'm putting on my moderator hat, and communicate that I edited your post to remove the color tag. Reading light blue on a white background was very difficult. Lets not make getting help and answers any harder then it ought to be :)

3. ACiB708 macrumors regular

If you're not planning to upgrade your computer soon, get more RAM, it's not very expensive nowadays. You can get 16GB for about 160 USD on Crucial, if you look around on sites like NewEgg you might find better deals. That said, as maflyyn above mentioned, upgrading to an SSD will get you the most noticeable difference in user experience.

But yes, you most definitely need more than 4GB for newer software and operating systems.

4. BeefJerky thread starter macrumors newbie

@maflynn

Sorry about the colour! I'll take that on board!

Not really sure what I should be looking for in the Activity Monitor, but I have installed a Memory Clean App from the App Store and found that when my machine becomes really slow, it indicates that I only have like 300mb of RAM left available and then I have to use it to clean the memory and it adds another GB but that fills up just as quickly as I cleaned it. And yes, I have a Non-retina MBP.

I don't have an SSD, I only have a 500 GB Hardrive. My mum originally purchased the MBP but he couldn't get the hang of the Mac OS after using Windows for 30 years and I was obsessed with Macs and Apple at the time and asked for it because she would chuck fits as it took its time! (I'm more patient).

@ACiB708

I don't plan to upgrade until it becomes unsupported for future updates. Most likely when a new feature becomes available but I don't get to get it because of the age of the MacBook. I'm thinking that upgrading would be worth while considering how cheap it is and 1-2 years is a long time, haha!

5. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

In activity monitor, click on the Memory tab.
    At the bottom centre there is a graph that shows Memory Pressure.
    If that is in the green when it lags, memory isn't an issue. If it is amber or red then extra RAM will help.
    [​IMG]

Barney

6. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Yep. If you are feeling lag now, put in an SSD and upgrade the ram to 8gb. You should see worlds of difference and your computer will be able to last you a lot longer.

I just did that with a 3 year old windows laptop. Whole worlds of difference, even runs windows 8.1 like a champ.

7. BeefJerky thread starter macrumors newbie

@Barney. Thanks for the handy screenshot! Well, I'm beginning to think memory isn't a problem. I find it strange since when I clean the memory with the 'MemoryClean' app, the speed increases.

@dextr3k. I beginning to think that I may not want to upgrade the RAM or put in an SSD into this computer because I walked into my local Apple reseller, and the thinness of the new MBPs make my one look like a brick, lol.

Little confused as to what to do now.

*Off-topic: Is there expected to be MBP updates in September along with the iPhone 6 etc?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like Barney said, if you run your machine a while and check that memory pressure window and it is all green, more memory is not needed.

Apple does not normally release Mac updates the same time as new iPhones. Based on the timing of the new Intel chipsets, it is more likely any new MacBooks would hit closer to the holidays.

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I have the macbook classic also and I want the new macbook pro retina. I'm waiting for the refresh in September/October. It'll have the broadwell processor and 16h battery life. So I'm waiting.

----------

October is the current rumored date.

----------

Apple is releasing a lot of products in the Fall. Including the macbook pro. Fall ranges from September to November. So expect it around that time. I think it'll be worth the wait.

10. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Get 8gb, it's not too expensive and may help your computer. When you sell it, it will be more desirable too.

11. BeefJerky thread starter macrumors newbie

Do older MacBook Pros have a good resell value?

@pragmatous. Thanks for the information about when they are expected to be released. I get a tad confused because our spring is the US Fall. Like now it's freezing! Winter!

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

MBPs have good resale value, but as time goes on its value does decrease. I'm not sure if you're looking for a certain amount or how much they retain value but of all the machines out there, MBPs do hold their value the best imo

13. BeefJerky thread starter macrumors newbie

@maflynn I'd be happy with around 500$. Guess it would depend on the economy at the time. I do want it to make an impact on the price of my new one. I would look up what the regular prices are for my Mid 2012 Non-rMBP 15" because I'm a little unsure haha!

14. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

The 2012's are a powerful computer! If you can fix what bugs you, you could use the computer another year or two. I'm still using my 2010 MBP.

The amount you'll spend for 8gb of RAM will be relatively cheap. It may not make the value of your computer go up drastically, but it will make it easier to sell. If I'm looking at 2 identical computers but one has more RAM, guess what I'll choose?

15. BeefJerky thread starter macrumors newbie

@Trvlngnrs. I would happily keep the computer for another 2-3 years but the speed begins to become so sluggish when I have more than 2 programs open. I'm not sure what would be causing it, do you have any ideas?