Upgrade RAM or SSD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enakeprimen, Oct 24, 2012.

1. enakeprimen, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

enakeprimen macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 13-inch MBP Early 2011 runs very slow while editing / rendering movies. I think I need to upgrade either the RAM or SSD or both to make it faster.

My question is which one is worthier, upgrade the RAM to 8GB or replace the HDD to SSD? And how much the cost approximately?

Appreciate for your sharing. Tks

About my Mac
    [​IMG]

2. enakeprimen thread starter macrumors newbie

3. blaake macrumors regular

Im not too sure on which will do you better as i have always upgraded both. Upgrading your ram to 8gb, its only $35. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294

A quality SSD is going to be a little more costly. a Samsung 830 256gb ssd is anywhere from 160-210 depending on where you find a good price

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Where's your bottleneck?

5. paul-n macrumors regular

When you render a movie the CPU is often the bottleneck, not the HDD. Maybe more RAM helps. For editing maybe a SSD can help to get rid of small freezes.
    You can try RAM first, then SSD.

6. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Just so you know, that version MacBook Pro can take up to 16GB of RAM. I have the same version and I'm looking at upgrading it to that amount and also adding a 256GB SSD.

Seen a few videos of speed comparison before and after, sold me on it straight away.

7. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Add 16G Ram. Never can have enough ram, especially since it so cheap these days.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Take a look in Activity Monitor when you do the rendering. THen you can see if your CPU or RAM is maxed out.

I'm surprised that no one suggested this..

9. enakeprimen thread starter macrumors newbie

I had upgraded the RAM to 8GB and replaced the HDD to SSD one week ago.. It improves my MBP perfectly fast. Anyway, thanks all for your reply.