Upgrade RAM past Apple's recommended limit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silence, Aug 28, 2008.

1. silence macrumors member

Howdy folks,

This may be the dumbest question ever posted on this forum :eek: and I'm not a hardware man so please excuse the ignorance!

After upgrading my 1st gen MBP hard drive to a WD 320Gb 7200rpm, i'm now in the mood for upgrading more. I'm seriously pissed that all the new MBP's can get 4Gb of RAM, and I don't even have the option of upgrading mine due to the 2Gb "max".

So, basically want to know if there's anyway to get 4Gb to work on my MBP?? I understand the limitation is with the motherboard chipset, but surely I can then just upgrade the chipset? Is this possible or would that be too expensive?

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

Thanks again

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP will only recognize and use a maximum of 2GB of RAM, even if you install more.

3. eviltobz macrumors member

i don't know the ins and outs of the macbook pro line to know what can be supported, but upgrading a chipset really is not an option. the chips are soldered to the motherboard so aren't upgradable. even if you were a soldering genius and could unsolder it and solder in new chips it still probably wouldn't work as a new chipset would quite possibly need a different motherboard to connect it all up correctly.

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Aren't 1st gen macs able to recognise up to 3.3GB's of RAM? I'm not sure about that but my C2D MBP has that "limitation". No matter how much RAM you put in, the machine will only recognise up to its limit. So its kinda pointless, unless RAM sticks are dirt cheap :p

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, 2GB is the limit on the 1st gen MBP.

There's a rather good guide to Intel Mac RAM on MacRumors ;)

8. silence thread starter macrumors member

:( Oh well, thanks for the replies anyway. I guess i'm just being greedy, and will have to make do with what i have.

Hmm... but wonder how much it would cost to replace the whole motherboard?

Would that be another dumb idea?

9. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

It would be a very illogical choice.

If it could even be done most likely over 600.