upgrade ram question (2x2Gb or 2Gb+4Gb)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macboook, Aug 6, 2011.

1. macboook macrumors newbie

Hey

So i recently got a MacBook5,1 (intel core 2 duo, 2ghz, 2gb ram...it can hold up to 8gb ram)
    I want to upgrade to the RAM because 2gb isn't really cutting it.

My question is, would it be better to upgrade with 2 sticks or 2Gb for a total of 4GB ram
    or
    get 1 stick of 4Gb and 1 stick of 2Gb for a total of 6Gb.

Would the benefits of having 2 matching sticks of 2gb be better than having a total of 6gb ram?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The extra RAM is more important than using matched pairs. Go with 1x4GB.

3. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I disagree that the extra RAM is more important than running it in matched pairs. That is, if you find you are using more than 2gb move to 4gb but if you can afford it and your motherboard supports it then move all the way up to 8gb (with current pricing, I'm not sure it's more expensive than 4gb anyway...it wasn't for me two weeks ago when I upgraded). I would not bother with 6gb unless you had the memory lying around already and didn't want to purchase anything.

4. Nodnarb macrumors newbie

I keep seeing mixed opinions. I too have the same question. My Macbook Pro is maxed out at 4GB per Apple's specs but online is stated to max out at 6GB... I can't go to 8GB. Should I or shouldn't I upgrade to the 1x2GB + 1x4GB stick option?? Is the speed difference (if any) really substantial?

But as for your question macboook, I would just max out your ram and go for 8GB. Its cheap and you won't have to worry about upgrading again later.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Here is some benchmarks comparing single, dual and triple-channel DDR3. As you can see, the difference is mostly unnoticeable, and that is with a fast quad core CPU, not with old Core 2 Duo. Besides, 4GB would still run in dual-channel whereas the remaining 2GB would be in single-channel.

Personally, more RAM outperforms faster RAM IMO.

6. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I agree with this general point. I worded my first response poorly. I intended to disagree with your final suggestion of going only with 1x4gb verses going with 2x4gb (my preference) given that his motherboard supports it.

Although keep in mind that those benchmarks are in regards to core i7 processors which handle memory differently than core 2 duo processors. The differences are much more pronounced if I rememberer correctly.

7. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

You can get 8GB of ram for around $60 so just throw 8GB in there and call it a day.