Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irish4523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Hey everyone, I just got an Aluminum Macbook w/ 2gb RAM and I want to upgrade it to 4 or possibly 6 (I believe this is where it's maxed out).. I'd like to know where do I get this done at? I know a lot of people do it themselves, but to be honest I want no part in opening up my machine and risk messing something up.. will the Apple store do it even if I don't have a receipt or anything (bought it used)? Or do small time computer service stores normally do this? Just looking for some help/advice from the experts.. thanks

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I'd recommend buying the RAM from OWC. Newegg has it as well.

Your computer maxes out at 6 GB RAM, though 4 GB is likely to be plenty unless you're doing a lot of things at once. 6 GB RAM is also disproportionately expensive compared to 4 GB because you need one 4 GB stick and one 2 GB stick.

It's extremely easy to do yourself. So easy, in fact, that if you have a friend who is even somewhat technologically inclined, he/she would likely help you out with it. It's as simple as pulling the old RAM out of the slot and sticking the new RAM in. Apple will do it, but they'll charge. I'm not sure how much, but it shouldn't be too bad ($50 or so is my guess). I'd seriously look at doing it yourself. Unless you stick something in the slot that shouldn't go in, or put the RAM module in sideways, it's pretty fool-proof (enough so that it's a user replaceable part). Just make sure you pay attention to which side the notch is on when you take the original RAM out. iFixit has some great guides too.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Right, changing the RAM is so easy a 4 year old could do it. Just a few screws and remove a small panel and then pop out the chip and insert the new one. The chips are slotted so they can only go in one way. One really cannot screw it up.

irish4523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
ok fair enough haha.. I'll give it a shot then.. thanks for all your help everyone.. take care

irish4523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
one more question.. how do I know which RAM to buy? Should I buy just one 4gb stick or 2 "2gb" sticks? I have the Macbook 5.1 (the unibody aluminum one that came out pre-pro).. does anyone know if that has one 2gb stick or 2 "1gb" sticks? Thanks again

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
one more question.. how do I know which RAM to buy? Should I buy just one 4gb stick or 2 "2gb" sticks? I have the Macbook 5.1 (the unibody aluminum one that came out pre-pro).. does anyone know if that has one 2gb stick or 2 "1gb" sticks? Thanks again
The links I posted will answer most of your questions.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
To find out, go to Apple Menu -> About This Mac... and then click on "More Info". Click on "Memory".

It should have two 1 GB stick in it. If you're going for 4 GB RAM, you'll need to order 2x 2 GB sticks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.