upgrade ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ame8199, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ame8199, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

ame8199 macrumors 6502

I have a Early 2011 Macbook pro 2.3 i5, 4g of RAM. Running 10.9.3

For a few days, Ive been getting the beach ball a lot. I can type and it stalls or I can click on something and it just spins a lot. Ive been researching and thought maybe my memory needs upgrading. According to my activity monitor, Im using 3.99 of my 4g of memory.

No idea if thats what may be causing it. Heres a screen shot

Attached Files:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The memory pressure is high in the green. It is still ample, but you would see a benefit going to 8 GB. The biggest upgrade would be an SSD though...

3. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea doing more research i thought my hard drive may be going....I don't think I want an SDD...may just get a larger hard drive.

Are those easy to replace in the early 2011s?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very easy. However, an SSD is by far the best. If you need a lot of data on your machine, look at a hybrid drive. They have the space of hard drive with almost the speed of an SSD. You do lose some speed over an SSD due to the hard drive part, but it is way faster than a regular hard drive.

5. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

great, just seen a 1 TB hybrid on Ifixit.com for 149 which seems reasonable. Didn't know what a hybrid drive did...Might as well get the RAM while Im spending money.

Thanks a lot.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Newegg is a great place for quality parts as well... Also what is that icon of the head in your Dock if you don't mind me asking?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just curious....why don't you want a SSD? I'd say it is the number one most noticeable upgrade you can do. They're absolutely worth every penny.

Yes. Checkout ifixit, they have tons of guides. The unibody MacBook Pros are pretty easy to work on.

8. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its called Boardmaker...it makes picture icons and cards. I work with kids with special needs, so I use it to make communication cards

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ah. Yes. I have seen the cards in action. It is a remarkable piece of software. As more schools adopt iPads they are going Proloquo2Go.

How much space are you using currently on your hard drive? If it isn't much then by all means get the SSD!

10. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you were ok with spending $150 on that hybrid 1TB drive, you're more than half way to a 500GB SSD. That would give you plenty of space and a very nice speed boost.

Amazon has the samsung Evo drive for $240 right now. I've seen it closer to $200 recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE500BW/dp/B00E3W19MO

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

13. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid of limiting myself with 256gb.... It's my only computer...so probably a. 500g would work fine. A 256 g would probably work as well.

So I'd be ok getting a ssd hard drive and keeping the memory for now?

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you get a straight up SSD and not a hybrid then yes you should be fine. Upgrading the RAM in the future is a very easy and affordable way to get much more speed out of your system. As for the SSD, my personal recommendation is the Samsung 840 series whether it be the Pro, Evo, or regular 840. They also have a great warranty and run great under OS X.

15. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok just ordered the drive recommended above plus some tools.

I've changed my hard drive in my previous Mac but it's been a while

I'm backing up everything now with an external drive though tine machine...probably will us carbon copy as well

Is there anything else I need to do?

How do I erase my old drive? Actually do not remember how to put my stuff on my new drive... Any how to on that?

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Internet recovery should do the trick.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Make sure you've applied the proper software update so you can actually use internet recovery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Time Machine backup makes this easy. Just install the new drive then attach the TM disk and option key boot to it. You will see a recovery screen. Fro there start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab and format the new disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility and click restore and the OS and all your apps and data will be put back on the new disk and you will be all set.

After you reboot to the new drive make sure you go into System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the new drive as the boot disk.

No need to download anything.

18. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Hybrid drives are only ok for casual users who just use their computers for browsing and office-like stuff. They have only 8GB of flash memory, which is just tight for anything more on the "pro" side.

19. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

So would I erase my old drive the same way before installing the new drive?

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use the recovery partition on the TM disk to erase the old drive first if you like.

21. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone for your help. Ordered and installed the new ssd drive .... Made a noticeable difference!! No more lagging and stalling. Thank you

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're welcome! SSDs are great!