Upgrade / restore options

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by K4VKS, Apr 9, 2010.

1. K4VKS macrumors newbie

I want to be 100% of this thinking, so please double check me...

I have an unlocked, jailbroken, tether-able, 3GS running the original 3.0.1 and firmware 04.26.08

i am having some phone probs to the point it looks like a reboot is what is needed. However, since I clicked the Cydia link too late, so the only shsh I have is for 3.1.3.

Am I correct to think my only option at this point is to go to 3.1.3? I really don't want to if I don't have to for obvious reasons.

Am I correct or is there a way to reload the same or another (non 3.1.3) firmware?

Thanks

2. mreddys10 macrumors regular

What problems do you have currently? And I am assuming you have an untethered jailbreak. You can use pwnage tool to create a custom firmware, put your iPhone into recovery mode and restore to that firmware. This restore will delete all your previous data and settings.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What a tether-able, 3GS?
    Do you have a tethered or untethered JB?

4. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Tetherable = internet tethering enabled (my best guess :) )

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you're good.
    If thats what he meant then you deciphered it great :)

6. mreddys10 macrumors regular

I'm just assuming its not a tethered JB because of his BB. I might be wrong though.

7. luvu01 macrumors regular

in his case everything is simple just use pwnage tool to restore to 3.01 or update to 3.1.2

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not as simple on a 3GS where SHSH's come into play and maybe a tethered JB.

9. K4VKS thread starter macrumors newbie

correct

i'll look into that, thank you

so the pwnage tool won't work?

10. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

you should definitely be good with Restore mode and SHIFT (Option) Restore to a custom(pwnage tool) 3.1.2. that's the best way to go for you.

Not sure if you need your phone unlocked but since you have it on the (worry free) 04.26.08 baseband you can easily Unlock it through Cydia with Ultrasn0w. So go with the iTunes Restore mode method..(if you don't know how to put the iPhone in Restore mode YouTube it, lots of vids on it)

One thing to keep in mind...This has been mentioned many times before in other forums, specially by A.Juiced

Once you successfully put your phone in Restore mode and Shift Restore to a Fresh and clean custom 3.1.2 ..Please avoid AVOID! re-synching the phone with your old back up files, the very same back up files that are probably giving you trouble right now...

Just start the iPhone as a "NEW iPhone"

So if you have lots of data that you like to hold on to...most of them you can back up manually, cut and paste and copy... (the ghetto way) some you may just lose... but the most important data (to me at least) Contacts (phone) numbers. you can easily (but manually) enter them one by one to a MS Outlook program.

So once you start your fresh, clean restored phone (most likely running on custom, jailbroken 3.1.2) you can tell the Iphone to sync with Outlook Contacts that way you can easily get your contacts back.

Again I advise against restoring from an old back up, unless you have multiple ones (older ones) that you may think will not be problematic...(but even that is not recommended)

The whole Restore to custom 3.1.2 firmware shouldn't be hard and I'm 95% sure it will fix your problem. ;)

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In order to use pwnage you have to be already JB, put your iphone in restore mode and then update to the custom 3.1.3 IPSW

12. mreddys10 macrumors regular

13. K4VKS thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone...i thought i was stuck, but pwnage tool is my answer. Thanks a lot!:)