Upgrade/return question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nickcv, Apr 30, 2011.

1. nickcv macrumors newbie

I bought a 21.5" iMac about a month ago. It's my first Mac, and I love it. I'd been without a computer since October since I decided to wait for Sandy Bridge. After Sandy Bridge came out, I decided I wanted a Mac, and couldn't deal with using my phone for -EVERYTHING-, so I bought the iMac, knowing an upgrade was imminent.

It's been a little over a month, and from what I've read on these forums, "a little over a month" is the window for an upgrade exchange. If I go to the local Apple Store on Tuesday (if the rumors are true) and I'm able to talk them into upgrading me, will they transfer my data for me? Will I need to bring back my keyboard and Magic Mouse? Do I need my receipt? Will they transfer my data, and if so, will they transfer my Boot Camp partition too?

Long story short: if Apple lets me upgrade my month-old iMac, what should I expect when I go to the Apple Store?

2. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Apple will transfer your data for $99, If they agree to upgrade for you. If its over 30 days doubtful they will do the upgrade but you never know. Its definitely worth giving it a shot.

3. nickcv thread starter macrumors newbie

Only slightly over 30 days, and I'm REALLY good at whining until I get my way (just ask my parents). Sounds like I should dump all my crap onto my external drive.

4. cjhorist macrumors member

the typical guaranteed window 14 days. Sometimes apple will double that depending on the amount of product sold in the previous month (because that means alot of unhappy 15-28 day'rs). this happened with the last MBP refresh (and my buddy was able to upgrade it at around the 24 day mark)

if you're past 30, there's definitely no guarantee -- but if anyone will give you a shot at it it's apple. good luck!

5. nickcv thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to swap out my 35-day-old iMac with no trouble, aside from that I have to wait until tomorrow for them to finish the data transfer.

If any of you were dumb like me and bought your iMac a month ago, go give it a shot.

6. FarFromSubtle macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update. I am headed in tomorrow to do the same thing!