Upgrade SDD on Macbook Pro Late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcpato89, Oct 13, 2018.

1. mcpato89 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've just bought an used Macbook Pro Late 2011 and I want to change the HDD for a SDD. As I don't have any data on the HDD, is it possible to change it straight away for the SDD?
    Thanks in advance!

2. pippox0 macrumors member

pippox0

Yeah,
    You must buy a SSD compatibile with your MBP.
    Remove HDD and insert SSD and reinstall OSX/macOS

3. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

I have 1TB SSD on my 2011 MBP. So much faster than HDD. I highly recommend it.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP --

About any 2.5" SATA SSD will do.
    I suggest Crucial or Sandisk.

Also, you should consider buying one of these as well:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

It's cheap, it works, and you can use it to "prep and test" the new SSD BEFORE you actually open up the MBP to install it. Doing it this way can save a LOT of trouble if the install doesn't go "as planned".

You can also use it to access the old HDD after the drives have been swapped out.

You'll also need:
    - Phillips #00 driver
    and
    - TORX T-6 driver (to take the "bosses" off the old HDD and move them to the new SSD).
    These can be found at hardware stores or online.

ifixit.com has detailed instruction guides for changing out drives.
    The process is actually very easy and takes only about 15 minutes (mostly for removing/reinstalling the screws that hold the back on).

5. mcpato89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions Guys! I have a few more questions, any SSD is compatible with this Mac? What should I do until I change the HDD? Should I transfer the OS to the new SSD or something like that?

Sorry I'm a newbie in Mac and I don't want any problem. Thanks!

6. Complex757 macrumors 6502

Complex757

Crucial MX500 or Samsung Evo 860

both are dependable and at a good price

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Should I transfer the OS to the new SSD or something like that? "

IF you believe that your current OS installation is "in good shape", you could do this:
    1. Buy the USB3/SATA adapter dongle I mentioned in reply 4 above
    2. Download CarbonCopyCloner (FREE to download and use for 30 days, this will cost you nothing)
    3. Connect the SSD to the Macbook using the adapter
    4. Open Disk Utility and erase it to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled
    5. Run DU's "repair disk" function on the newly-formatted drive, just to check it before using
    6. Open CCC. Put your source drive (internal) on the left. Put the target (SSD) to the right
    7. Accept CCC's defaults and turn it loose.
    8. If CCC wants to clone over the recovery partition, YES, you want to do this too.
    9. When done, quit CCC and power down ALL THE WAY OFF
    10. Now, do a TEST BOOT: Press the power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears.
    11. You should see the icon for the external SSD in startup manager. Click it with the pointer and hit return
    12. Now, the moment of truth: do you get "a good boot"?
    13. If you do, check "about this Mac" to be sure you're booted from the external. It will look EXACTLY like the internal "looked" (because it's a clone, right?)
    14. Take "a look around" at things. If everything is OK, power down.
    15. NOW is the time to get out the tools and do the "drive swap".
    16. After you close up and are ready to try the SSD "inside", you need to AGAIN boot with the "option key trick" I mentioned above.
    17. When you get to the finder, open the "startup disk" preference pane and re-designate the SSD to be the new boot drive.
    18. This should do it.

PRINT THIS REPLY OUT and save it.
    Check it off as you go along, and I guarantee a 98% chance of success.
    I'm that confident.

8. mcpato89 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're a master!! Thanks a lot!

9. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Did this with my 2011 MacBook Pro a couple years ago. Samsung 850, I think. I carefully followed the iFixit guide and all went well! Breathed new life into this machine.

Unfortunately, many of the 2011 MBP models fail due to a faulty GPU. Mine (GPU) finally died a few months ago, but at least I will be able to repurpose the 1TB SSD for external storage when I upgrade to a new laptop.