Upgrade sequence on macs and wacom

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sossity, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have recently made threads about problems with my mac mini, and have been thinking about osx. My mini originally came with lion, then I went to mountain lion, and then from mountain lion I went to el capitan, does skipping an osx cause problems? should I have first gone to Yosemite first before el capitan?

All I know is after going from mountain lion to el capitan, is when my problems/shutdowns started, my wacom pointer would get disabled for a few seconds after waking my mac mini from sleep, even after I downloaded and installed their 10.11 drivers. And then the shutdowns started, and now it does not boot at all, I cannot even boot to any disk modes like recovery disk utility etc, before it just shuts down.

I even notice that my wacom pointer is jittery in in el capitan on my macbook pro retina 2014. On this, I went from yosmite to el capitan.

does anybody have any experience or good experiences with wacom tablets and yosmite or el capitan? I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do about it.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no harm in going straight to El Capitan like you did. It sounds like you have a Wacom driver that is not compatible with El Capitan.

Try holding the shift key when booting to boot to safe mode. That will bypass any driver or startup items like the Wacom driver. The Wacom won't work, but does the system otherwise work properly in safe mode? If it does, that tells you it is some launch item like the Wacom drivers causing the problem.

3. Sossity, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply, but the mini shuts down before I can boot into anything, as soon as I press the power button, it shuts right off. right now, I am waiting on some torx tools and inam going to try and take out one of the hard drives in it, someone suggested that the very full 500gb hard drive might be causing problems, I bought this mini with 2 hard drives, an ssd boot and a regular 500gb one.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you can't even get to the recovery screen, it would not be those drivers then. I sounds a bit like you may have a bad drive.