Upgrade sim to enable VoLTE?

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I read somewhere else that using the sim that came with the iPhone 5 will not enable the use of VoLTE on the iPhone 6, is this correct? I am on Verizon.

I did a quick test this morning and can confirm that I can't use data while calling with the old i5 sim card.

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
You have Voice over LTE enabled in your iPhone settings?

Not sure if you need a new SIM though.

Anthony.L

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Seattle, WA
Are you sure the Verizon network in your area supports VoLTE yet?

Regarding the SIM, my Verizon 6 shipped with a brand new LTE sim. In fact every iPhone upgrade I've received from Verizon always came with a new sim. Why did you swap the one from your 5? If you stop by the local Verizon office they will give you a brand new one and program it.

Tripzter

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
The SIM from the iPhone 5 will work fine. No need for new SIM Card. Simply enable Voice+Data on your iPhone 6 and go into your account and add the VoLTE feature or call CS to enable. My wife swapped her IPhone 5 SIM to iPhone 6 and VoLTE works fine. No issues.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I'm using my iPhone 5 sim in my iPhone 6 on Verizon. VoLTE works fine. Or I assume it does, as I am able to do simultaneous voice and data.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
the old sim will work. I didn't even have to go onto my Verizon to enable anything. I just turned VoLTE on in settings and was good to go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.