Upgrade SSD and RAM. Will I lose Applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkao2025, Sep 15, 2014.

1. tkao2025 macrumors regular

Hi All. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro that is running pretty slow. My wife's Air runs super fast and starts up so much quicker. I was thinking about upgrading to an SSD and updating my RAM from 4 to 8gb. A few questions

1. Will I lose all my applications like Microsoft office? If I back up before I change drives, can I than put all the applications and information back via Time Machine?

2. What tools will I need to change the SSD and RAM? I've seen videos on YouTube and looks quite easy, but not sure what screw drivers are needed

3. I've been researching on SSD and it seems like the Samsung 840 is nice. What RAM card would people recommend?

Sorry if questions seems amateur, but a newbie at this so would appreciate any help possible. Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes it's easy

Pentalobe 5 screwdriver.

Yes you can restore from time machine your apps will be there.

Have you checked out the 840 Samsung EVO probably best bang for buck ssd wise.?

Any compatible 1333hz DDR3 RAM is fine crucial is usually recommended.

Don't forget to download trim enabler to keep the ssd in tip top shape.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. If you make a full TM backup then use that to restore to the new SSD, all your Applications will be there. What will likely happen though is MS Office will see it is on new hardware and make you reenter your registration info.

2. Once you have the cover off the RAM just pops in by hand. See this. You will need a size 00 Phillips screwdriver to remove the case screws and a #6 Torx driver to swap the four screws from the old drive to the new SSD.

3. Samsung EVO and the Crucial MX100 are about the best bang for the buck right now. Get whichever you can find cheapest.

As long as the RAM meets the specs and is from a reliable vendor, it will be fine. Crucial prices on Amazon are pretty good. Look on the Crucial site for the part number then search that same part number on Amazon. For some reason the exact same Crucial part is usually less on Amazon.

4. tkao2025 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply guys. Really appreciate it. I will get the samsung 840 and crucial 8gb ram. Gotta get new screwdrivers now too :)

5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Last year, I had some corruption. And had to restore from TM. I had to reactivate Office. Then, a few weeks later, SSDs dropped in price and I just went ahead and ordered one. Carbon copied the drive over. Had to call Microsoft to activate it again.

Note, there are issues if you use Outlook and TM. The message store isn't backed up. Not a problem if you use IMAP or exchange servers. Which is why I just used CC.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The 2011 models don't need a P5 screwdriver.

A Phillips 00 is what the OP needs for an early 2011 model.

7. tkao2025 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm.....that could be a problem if I need to activate it again. I got the office from a company that no longer offers it. I guess it would not matter if I used Time Machine or Carbon Copy. Both will most likely require an activation of Office again.

One question is if I use Time Machine to reinstall from backup, what are the steps I need to take once I have installed a new SSD? I've researched, but got mixed instructions from different websites.

8. kevink2 macrumors 65816

For activation, as long as you still have the product key code, you should be fine. It may just activate automatically if it has been long enough since your install. Otherwise, a call to microsoft should do it. At worst, you will be asked how many computers it is installed on. And if you can truthfully say 1, you are fine.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Update your TM backup then install the new SSD. Now attach the USB disk with the TM backup then option key boot to it. That will give you a recovery screen.

From there start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Select your drive on the left then pick Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the format drop down and apply that change. Now quit Disk Utility and click restore. That will copy the OS and all your apps and data from the TM backup to the new SSD.

Once the restore is done, shutdown and disconnect the USB disk then startup to the SSD. Now go to System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the SSD as the startup volume.

Now run the TRIM Enabler app to turn on TRIM.

That should do it.

No matter what tool/utility you use you will have the activation issue.

10. tkao2025 thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, thanks for all your help. My computer has been updated and now is flying. Can't believe how much faster it is with just a few simple mods. Was thinking about getting a new notebook, but now feels like I've got a new notebook and saved over a $1000. :D