Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
There is no way to upgrade the SSD in the rMBP 13 2015 model at all ever? I only got the 128GB model because it was all that i could afford and normally would upgrade the HDD at a later date on my windows devices. 128GB is quite small considering i only get around 90GB free to use out of the box or so.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You haven't asked any questions but yes you seem to have a fairly good understanding of the situation.

You can get bigger drives taken from other macs on ebay but they cost about 1$/GB.

There are of course many other ways to up your storage, Tiny USB drives from sandisk can have some really fast transfer rates:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sandisk+usb+3.0

Transcend do the jet drive that will take up 256GB micro sd card for your SD card slot, for unnoticable storage increase.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...transcend+jetdrive&sprefix=transcend+,aps,583

There are also a multitude of wireless drive options.

Reactions: Closingracer

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
For some time I was on a chromebook. These things have meager 16 GB SSDs as Google wants you to do everything on the internet. That's great but I don't always have an internet connection! So what to do? Well I loaded a 64 GB SD card up with music and movies and plopped it in the computer. It never came out. Worked great.

When you are at home, you can rig up something more permanent. External drives that connect via USB 3 or Thunderbolt are so fast that they are virtually indistinguishable from internal drives. Keep your core apps on your laptop's internal drive, toss media onto an SD card and leave the big stuff (including other apps and things) on the external drive at home.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
You haven't asked any questions but yes you seem to have a fairly good understanding of the situation.

You can get bigger drives taken from other macs on ebay but they cost about 1$/GB.

There are of course many other ways to up your storage, Tiny USB drives from sandisk can have some really fast transfer rates:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sandisk+usb+3.0

Transcend do the jet drive that will take up 256GB micro sd card for your SD card slot, for unnoticable storage increase.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=transcend+jetdrive&sprefix=transcend+,aps,583

There are also a multitude of wireless drive options.

So there is no direct way to upgrade the SSD like buying one on Amazon?

As far as those Jet drives though I see the biggest available for the 13 rMBP is 128GB right? Is it just as fast as the SSD in the Macbook?

As far as using it is it seamless like the internal storage is?
[doublepost=1452097699][/doublepost]
For some time I was on a chromebook. These things have meager 16 GB SSDs as Google wants you to do everything on the internet. That's great but I don't always have an internet connection! So what to do? Well I loaded a 64 GB SD card up with music and movies and plopped it in the computer. It never came out. Worked great.

When you are at home, you can rig up something more permanent. External drives that connect via USB 3 or Thunderbolt are so fast that they are virtually indistinguishable from internal drives. Keep your core apps on your laptop's internal drive, toss media onto an SD card and leave the big stuff (including other apps and things) on the external drive at home.

My main device at home is a 17 inch windows 10 gaming laptop and this macbook is for school and mostly on the go since this is a smaller more portable laptop. I guess I could just carry along an external HDD but I thought it only allows files smaller than 4GB at least from another thread i am in somebody said.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

As far as those Jet drives though I see the biggest available for the 13 rMBP is 128GB right? Is it just as fast as the SSD in the Macbook?

My main device at home is a 17 inch windows 10 gaming laptop and this macbook is for school and mostly on the go since this is a smaller more portable laptop. I guess I could just carry along an external HDD but I thought it only allows files smaller than 4GB at least from another thread i am in somebody said.

Ok a lot of questions and a few misunderstandings.

No there are no third party drives for any macbook pro/or air or macbook released late 2013 onwards.

Practically nothing is as fast as the SSD's found in your macbook. If you are just using it for storing video or itunes libraries or photos though speed doesn't mean much. There can be sleep wake and mounting issues with SD cards but the transcend gets good reviews you can only give it a try and see.

External drives will only take up to 4GB files if formatted in FAT32, you can reformat one to EXFAT or HFS (apples formatting) EXFAT will allow the same drive to be used by both your computers no issues and with any file size (but may not work with tv's etc), HFS will not allow it to work with your windows machine but is fine for a mac dedicated drive.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

The Jet Drive will act like a standard external drive and it will be slower than the internal SSD. However, bulk media files such as photos and music will work perfectly fine on the slower drive speed. The internal SSD should be more than enough for apps which is were the higher speeds of the internal SSD makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.