Upgrade SSD with 128 GB and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolf99, Apr 15, 2010.

1. wolf99 macrumors newbie

Hello

This will be my first MacBook Pro. After a long wait ;)

I've decided:

15 inch, 2.66 GHz
    Hi-Res Glossy

I'm still thinking about the HD. For me the temperature and noise is very important. First I've thought about an upgrade 5400 to 7200. But now...

So, first question: Is it worth upgrading to SSD? Will there be a decrease in the temperature as well? Speed? Noise? Battery?

Next question: I also want to buy a Time Capsule. Am I seeing it right that then a SSD with 128 GB would be enough space because of sharing pictures and movies on the Time Capsule?

Thank you very much for your support

2. wolf99 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

No, but you're not very patient :D

The SSD will be yonks quieter (no moving parts) and will throw you for a loop the first time you boot up and don't here the drive spinning.

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Congrats on the new machine. An SSD will be the single most unbelievable event in your computing life !!

Time Capsule as a file sharing server --- that would be a new one for me. TimeCapsule is a place to backup and restore your machine from. The backups are specific to your machines MAC address and host name. I am not aware of it enabling sharing files between machines.

5. wolf99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and sorry :rolleyes: I couldn't wait anymore :D

What about the temperature?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have a Time Capsule that acts kind of as a file server, streaming movies to anyone within the house, and works very well for that purpose!

Temperature has never been an issue for the SSD installed within my MacBook.

7. wolf99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I've heard it should work but I don't know...

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^^^
    I used to have a Time Capsule, but now I'm just using an FW800 drive for my Time Machine back-ups. ...And yes, while SSD's are a relatively new technology, they'll definitely make your machine more responsive.

Good luck!

9. wolf99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your support.

I've heard a lot about the SSD. I'm still wondering about the different experiences in terms of the temperature. Some say it'll be cooler some say it well cause more heat than the HDDs. :confused:

And I know Time Capsule is for backing up. But if you have more notebooks in your family it wouldn't be necessary anymore that everybody has the same pictures and movies on his notebook if I have understood correctly... As you notice I'm searching for reasons that a 128 GB would be big enough ;)