Upgrade SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave410, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM.

1. Dave410 macrumors member

Hello again,

My 2015 15" MacBook Pro has a 512 GB SSD that's getting pretty full. You guys warned me off the OWC 1 TB replacement for performance and compatibility reasons. Is there another source for a 1 TB SSD for this machine? I tried to get Apple to install one and they refused.

Many thanks,
    Dave

2. robvas macrumors 68020

3. treekram macrumors 6502a

There are some new options that have turned up in the past few months. But the one that is suitable for will depend on several factors:
    1) Are you using High Sierra or are you willing to upgrade to High Sierra?
    2) Are you willing to accept a performance hit?
    3) Are you comfortable buying a used SSD (Apple SSD's pulled from another Mac)? - considering that if a used SSD has seen a lot of erase/write cycles, it may not last that long.

OWC released their "Aura Pro X" SSD's in mid-October which doesn't have some of the drawbacks of their earlier "Aura" SSD's (still being sold) but requires High Sierra. I haven't see in-depth reviews of this yet.

Transcend has the JetDrive 820 which also may require High Sierra but it's a 2-lane vs. 4-lane PCIe interface, so it's slower and it uses TLC (more power consumption, more heat) vs. MLC. I haven't seen in-depth reviews of this either.

Some standard NVMe SSD's may work with High Sierra and an adapter. Going down this path will require work to find the right SSD/adapter combination that will work in your MBP.

I think the Kingston HyperX may work and wouldn't require High Sierra but would require an adapter.

I would try to avoid using an adapter if possible but am listing them so as to present the different alternatives available. I don't particularly like the OWC SSD's from a customer service standpoint but their new Aura Pro X may be the best alternative available (presuming you don't want a used SSD and can use High Sierra) but I would wait if possible to see what the in-depth reviews turn up.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

The Transcend 820 will work without an adapter. The speeds will be somewhat slower, as noted, and its moving from MLC to TLC. MCE Technologies also offers models that will work, which IIRC are rebranded OEMs (don't quote me on that tho).

5. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Have you considered an external SSD?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:
    Miltz has it right in reply 5 above.

Get an EXTERNAL SSD and start "off-loading" stuff you don't need onto it.
    What is it that's really taking up the space?
    Do you really, really need those files on it?

7. Dave410 thread starter macrumors member

Great advice, guys. Many thanks and I'll look into it. I'm already on High Sierra, so that helps, and it would be nice if the new OWC drive checks out. I've installed OWC SSDs in older MPBs to replace spinners and they worked great.

I know Mac users often try to keep as little on the computer and as much on external drives as possible, but I never understood why. I travel for a living and spend about 15 nights a month in a hotel room and I'd like to have all my stuff with me on the laptop. I already have a bunch of data on external drives because it won't fit on the machine's drive. Somehow it just makes sense -- all data on the computer and then plug in an external drive to backup all data.

Thanks again.

Cheers.