Upgrade still available after pre-ordering in ATT using Next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eagleglen, Sep 13, 2014.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Even though I pre-ordered a 6+ on the ATT site using their Next Program, when I check my eligibility for an upgrade, it shows that it is still available. Is that the same for everyone? Maybe it doesn't change until the replacement is shipped or activated? Is purchasing one in the store possible then? I know two on-line orders usually result in the first one being canceled. If you have canceled, how did you know it was reset?

If mine hasn't shipped by friday, I'd like to try buying it at an Apple Store without canceling my pre-order first. If the model I want is available, I hope I'll still be able to buy it. Seem likely?

2. ORK8 macrumors member

Did you try continuing through the process to see what happens? I'm in the same boat as you. Preordered through Next, but AT&T still shows me as having an upgrade available. But once I go through and select a phone I get a message to the effect of "this line is not eligible for an upgrade at this time."

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

NEXT doesn't eliminate your upgrade eligibility because it is not a contract on the plan, it's a separate contract that doesn't have much to do with the cell phone contract besides working on it.

4. ORK8 macrumors member

That's not what I'm finding. I just checked the message I get when I try it: "There's an existing order for the phone number you provided. You can only have one upgrade order per phone number at a time. You'll be able to place additional iPhone orders once you receive & activate this phone."

5. Deguello macrumors 6502

My preorder has removed the "you're eligible for an upgrade" language from that line when I check my account.

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Right, so I think I might have misunderstood what you were asking. Once you get your iPhone, you could then "upgrade" with a contract, and get another one. They probably did this to limit resellers from buying up supply and not using the phone on AT&T's network.

7. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I've put a phone in the cart and begun the check out process. I go to where it summarizes all the charges and the rate plan you're on. Everything seems set to proceed. I think there in one more screen, but I admit I don't want to risk it. Where do you see the message you got. I'm using the Apple store iPad app.

8. ORK8 macrumors member

This was from the iPhone app.