Upgrade swap at Radio Shack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rc251, Dec 6, 2010.

1. rc251 macrumors newbie

Hi, the Radio Shack near me is keeping a waiting list for the $50 iPhone deal, and they're having more in stock tomorrow, at which point I plan to picking one up.

I'm currently on a family plan and not eligible for upgrade, but another line (a relative living away from me) is eligible. I plan to get the iPhone on that account and do an upgrade swap after that.

What is the exact process for this? As I understand, Radio Shack will activate the phone at the point of purchase. They suggested I take it to an AT&T store and have the SIM switched.

My question is, does that mean my relative's phone will be disabled until I go to an AT&T store and perform the swap? Will I need that other phone at all during this whole process, or will it automatically reactive after the swap is done?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

after it has been activated on the relative's line you can swap the SIM card yourself, just remember that you just made your relative sign up w/ AT&T for two more years in an iPhone plan...

3. rc251 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

once the iPhone has been activated on the store the first time then you simply eject the SIM card and put your micro sim card in and done! ;)

5. rc251 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I get that new microsim from AT&T first? Also, what happens to the phone my relative has? Will it reactivate one I put the new sim into my iPhone?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You could/should...
    Nothing, is still a phone, the SIM is what gives the number not the phone... You stick the SIM into any ATT phone you get signal and your phone # is then in that phone...
    What do you mean reactivate, your relative will have now a micro sim card w/ his/her phone #, so they would need either a phone that accepts micro sim cards or a sim card adapter to put their new micro sim card into their older phone or they could go to the store and ask for a new SIM card normal size, they will also get stuck w/ the new contract prices on their #...

7. rc251 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, are you saying that once the iPhone is activated, then I can give that Sim to my relative for her phone? She actually doesn't live near me, so she'd have to go to a store to get a new one. Assuming I do that, I would have to get a new microsim from AT&T myself to put back into the iPhone, correct?

And yeah, I understand the contract, were all on one family plan.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

correct, but she will need either a sim adapter to make it a regular sim size or exchange the micro sim for a normal sim...

9. rc251 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I think I'm finally getting it now :p Since she doesn't live near me and I can't get her the microSIM card without mailing it, can she just walk into an AT&T store in her city right after I take care of my phone and ask for a replacement SIM? Is there any cost for a replacement SIM? I've seen it mentioned on the forum that it was free, while others said it was $15.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can call AT&T and find out ;)

11. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

It depends on the AT&T store you walk in to. A couple of years back, I had a bad phone that would not recognize my SIM. I went to the store expecting to pay for the new SIM, but the guy at the store activated 3 new SIM's to confirm that it was my phone and not the SIM. He did not charge me for any of the SIM's.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

They shouldn't charge you for the SIM. YMMV though.

13. diesel macrumors 6502a

You could easily sell for double on craigslist what Radio Shack is offering for your old 3gs. I think I sold my old 3gs for about $300 and that was only in August. With the holidays coming up i'm sure people will still be dishing out money for the 3gs.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed. Just sold a mint condition 3G on eBay for $200. But, if you want to avoid the hassle of selling, then this is probably the easiest way to go. I'd still recommend you try selling it elsewhere and you'll get a higher price.

15. rc251 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not turning in a 3GS :p I'm not upgrading from an existing iPhone at all. I'm just trying to take advantage of the $50 off the base price deal.

So here's what I plan to do:

1) Go in to Radio Shack, by iPhone as an upgrade to my relatives line (this will disable her existing phone, a RAZR)
    2) Go into AT&T store in my city and request a new microSIM for my line
    3) Call my relative, and tell her to go into the AT&T store near her and have her ask for a regular SIM for her line

That should be it, correct?

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

What you mentioned above seems like you're trying to get two phones for a one line account. Once you get the iPhone using your relatives upgrade, her RAZR will be out and replaced with the iPhone. She wouldn't be able to use that RAZR again unless a second line is added and then both phones will work on the account. I'm pretty sure that all iPhone 4's bought in the US will already have a microsim in it so you won't need to request a new one. Sounds like you need to add a second line and then you shouldn't have any issues unless I misread something in this thread.

17. rc251 thread starter macrumors newbie

We're part of a 4 person family plan. The reason I'd need to get a new microSIM is that the microSIM would be locked to her line. I'd need to get a new microSIM for my line, and she'd need to get a new regular SIM because hers would be disabled when I do the upgrade. At least that's how I understand it.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

:confused:

All the OP is doing is an upgrade swap. Only difference is that the person that their swapping with is not present. OP has it right, OP will need a new microsim because the other microsim will be tied to the other line and OP will need one for their line. He calls the other person and tells them to head to the AT&T store and grab a replacement SIM and change their plan back to whatever they had when they update the IMEI. Sounds like alot, but it's really simple. I did it with the 3GS and it was pretty easy. Good luck OP.

19. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Well then, please disregard what I said earlier as I'm totally off base here :eek: