** Upgrade Swap - Definitive How To **

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bitslap47, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

IN THIS EXACT ORDER:

1) Activate the phone on the number you ordered it against FIRST. This will leave the phone originally on the line inactive. This is how they both verify and consume your ATT eligibility.

2) When and ONLY WHEN the new phone is active and able to make calls, call AT&T customer service (not on your cell.) Tell them you just want to do a simple SIM swap between two of your lines. No further explanation is needed.

3) On the NEW phone, go to Settings/General. Scroll to the bottom. Read them the ICCID number and tell them you want that associated with which ever number you want to use the NEW phone on. They do not need the IMEI. If they ask for it, be suspect as the phone will auto register the IMEI when it connects to the network.

4) On the OLD phone, go to Settings/General. Scroll to the bottom. Read them the ICCID number and tell them you want that associated with the number the OLD phone ORIGINALLY had. They do not need the IMEI. If they ask for it, be suspect as the phone will auto register the IMEI when it connects to the network.

- You must do it in this order.

- You must not attempt to do the INITIAL activation on the new phone with any other number than the one you ordered it against.

- You may go to a CORPORATE ATT store in lieu of calling customer service.

- You may do this only at an Apple store if they have an ATT rep in store that day. Call first.

That's it!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Don't you need a new SIM card once the original one is activated on the number it was ordered on?

This is different from calling at&t before connecting to iTunes?

3. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Since the first step is to activate it on the number you ordered it on, no.

You are correct that current process on ATT's website does not match the process above, however the process above is what is currently used at Apple stores where ATT reps are present and is working well.

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Is this so you can keep your current rates etc?

5. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

This is done mainly so you can use an upgrade from another line on one that isn't eligible for an upgrade.

Not sure about keeping the rates... But I suppose it may work.

6. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

... or you could just go to an AT&T store and have them do this whole process for you in 10 minutes...

7. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Yep. Says that in the first that you can go to a Corp store.

8. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Spent a couple hours at an AT&T store last night and they were worthless, except for providing me new sim cards. Called tech support and they were able to resolve.

The directions above look correct to me... In hind sight now :)

9. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Does anybody know if Best Buy can do this in store? Or will I have to follow the same procedure as if it were the Apple store?

10. Flash69 macrumors member

Well the "in 10 minutes" part is not true. I spent 4 hours trying to get my iphone 4 activated yesterday. I had to go to the store 2 different times! I was on the phone with ATT and Apple customer service 2 times also. It was a major pain.

After a SIM is registered to a number it CANNOT be changed to another number. In all I had 5 SIM cards made for 2 phones yesterday!

The first problem is itunes activation. It kept saying the number I used for the upgrade (my wife's). The first time I left the ATT store they sent me home with a NON-programmed/blank SIM. I then was able to get past the itunes activation. This put my wife's number on the new blank SIM/iphone 4. It also killed her working 3GS. I called CS and they said once a SIM is registered on the network it cannot be removed and put on another number. So back to the store I went with both my iphone 4 and my wife's 3GS.

It was a complete nightmare and I chewed ATT out for it. They ended up giving me a $25.00 credit for my trouble. Not much but better than nothing.

11. chrislimon macrumors member

This is NOT the definitive how to!

I called and simply explained in detailed what I wanted done and they switched the imei and microsim numbers without me even telling them what they were, they had it in their system. 20 minutes later I was activated. No getting a new sim, no burning the upgrade lines sim. Simple.

If the itunes screen shows the original number still they DID NOT do it right and you shouldnt proceed. Otherwise you kill both sims and get nowhere and will actually have to follow the lengthy instructions in this thread.

Good luck!

12. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I love my local apple store.
    Went in got my phone ( i had reserved)
    There were AT&T reps onsite.
    All were busy so one of them gave me two sim cards one standard and one micro, went home called business support and swapped the upgrade.
    Couldn't have been easier.

13. iphonematt Guest

I did an upgrade swap at the Apple store today. Luckily they had an AT&T rep at the store who took care of the swap no trouble at all. Very painless process and I was pleased.

14. hsleiman macrumors regular

4 ATT reps, 3 sim cards, and 6 microsims later, my ATT store was able to succesfully perform an upgrade swap! In just under 2 hours!! :rolleyes:

I recommend calling customer service and avoiding the store as in the end the ATT reps figured out that they had to do that anyways.

15. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

The same flocking thing happened to me. Two trips the at&t store to pick up new sim cards, 5.5 hours being transferred between 10at&t idiots. If I'd only followed my instincts instead of listening to the morons at AT&T, it have taken 10 minutes.

I did get them to not charge me for the extra microsim (I think 3G sims are free now). I bitched about the situation on Twitter and @attcustomercare asked if they could help. Yeah, give me 5.5 hours of my life back.

16. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Like all things, so dependent on the folks you get to deal with in person. My AT&T corp store (Southlake, TX) has several very good techs that can knock out an upgrade swap as fast as you can hand them your phone. Good stuff.

17. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Very good stuff indeed. If everyone could outline where they have had successful/good experiences, that in itself would be valuable information.

18. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Getting my Phone in a few days and will be performing the Upgrade Swap. It seems people have done it a few different ways in this thread and just making sure the OP is the easiest/quickest method.

I don't want to have to go to an Apple or AT&T store. I prefer to do that whole thing over the phone and it sounds like the OP is the best option. Just wanted to make sure before I follow it.

19. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

There have been a few cases where att has required a new microsim other than the one supplied with the iPhone4 be used, and that a new standard sim be used to reactivate the old phone on the number the upgrade was ordered against.

This is required in certain markets because CS in high fraud markets have had their access to re-associate previously active sims to a phone/phone number revoked.

If you are not sure if this is the case in your market, to be 100% sure, I suggest getting a new sim and microsim prior, then calling CS right away before doing anything.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd pick up a new microSIM just in case. Depending on where and how you received the iPhone, it might have already been activated on the original number, even before you connect to iTunes, in which case the microSIM is fried and permanently fixed to that number. I got mine in person from the Apple store and couldn't follow the procedures in the OP and had to go into an at&t store. However, if I had a blank microSIM when I called at&t, they would have been able to do the upgrade swap over the phone.

FYI: The Apple store has a bunch of blank microSIMs there and depending on how good of a term you are with the manager, you might be able to get a blank one to take home.

21. jwittenmyer macrumors newbie

Will this procedure work if one of the lines is AT&T Pre-paid?