Upgrade swap for unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chazf, Nov 13, 2010.

1. chazf macrumors newbie

I want to use my mother's upgrade to acquire an iphone that I will then unlock to be used in Europe. When I go to the ATT site to make the upgrade, it reads "The following features are not compatible with your new phone and will be removed: iPhone Data Plan + 200 Text" .

I do not want to cause any change or interruption to my mother's service. Is this possible? Does the fact that I do not plan to activate the new phone on ATT create any problems for my mother (or for me)?

thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to go to an AT&T store and tell them you want to use her upgrade and get the iphone but not to change anything on her account.
    They will set it up for you, online will make you change you current plan. Sounds like she has a 2G right now right?
    But you know currently the iphone 4 you're going to get is not going be unlockable yet since they all ship with 4.1 installed.

3. chazf thread starter macrumors newbie

unlocking 4.1

thanks Applejuice for the clarification on the upgrade.

You mean, unlocking 4.1 is not 'yet' possible? I thought it was possible with ultrasn0w.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No ultrasnow is not compatible with the 4.1 baseband. Just 4.0.2 and below.

5. gnychis macrumors 6502

yep

6. chazf thread starter macrumors newbie

in-store upgrade swap or by mail?

(finally getting around to doing this because I'm heading back to the US). Are you saying that I need to actually do the iphone swap in an ATT store? or do I buy it on line and when it arrives by mail i take it in to the store so that they do not change her account..... THANKS Applejuiced for the help!!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will be easier at the store so they don't change her account plan.