Upgrade Swap - iPhone 1G and RAZR

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shyfe, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Shyfe macrumors member

My mom has an iPhone 1G and she is eligible for 3GS upgrade. I have a RAZR and am not eligible for a 3GS upgrade. They screwed up my upgrade reversal when I returned the 3G last year and I gave up trying to make them fix it. How do I go about doing this upgrade swap? I want it to end with my mom having an iPhone 1G with her original plan and # and me with an iPhone 3GS on my #.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

3. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

It's different. They are upgrade swapping with 3G and 3GS, which is quite a different process than RAZR and 1G to 3GS.

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

She would upgrade and you would trade sims and change the data plans once AT&T saw your IMEI numbers.

5. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

So I can just go ahead and order the 3GS on her account for Apple to ship to me on the 19th?

Also, when she reactivates her 1G data plan for $20 a month, will it still include 200 txts?

To understand this, I buy the 3GS. I put my SIM from my RAZR into it and plug it into iTunes. I take the SIM out from the 3GS and she puts it into her 1G. Then what?

Someone walk me through this please, I'm rather eager to order.

6. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

As far as SIMs go, you basically need to take it out of the RAZR (or 1G) and plop it into your 3GS.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

1) You order from Apple/AT&T on your mom's upgrade line
    2) You receive the 3GS with your mom's SIM (I think) in it
    3) You remove your SIM from your Razr, and put it into the 3GS- Activate through iTunes- Change your data plan to the 3GS
    4) Your mom takes her SIM card (Current) and puts it into either the:
    a) Razr
    b) iPhone (1st version) and activates through iTunes, gets correct data plan.

5) You live happily ever after.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes on using your existing active SIM to activate the new iPhone 3G S.

No on using the new SIM for your mom, just leave her out of this activity. Since the new iPhone 3G S is back to iTunes activation, she should not have to do anything. Her existing SIM will continue to work in her original iPhone. After the launch activity slows down, just check back for details on what you may or may not need to do on your mom's line. We don't know what AT&T is doing with lines that are upgraded but not activated. Worst case is that she will have to call Customer Care and update her account information.

Wow you really are lazy but here goes:

1. Pre-Order the iPhone 3G S from Apple or AT&T
    2. Wait by the front door / mailbox
    3. Decide if you are going to share an Apple iTunes account with mom
    3. When the phone is delivered, pause and examine the phone for any defects
    4. Put your current SIM into the new iPhone 3G S.
    5. Connect your new iPhone 3G S to your computer and wait for iTunes
    6. Complete the iTunes activation step, make sure that you select existing customer, and pick your new data plan and SMS Txt plan.

Note: We need to know if you are sharing a computer with your mom?

Dave

9. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

We're not. But you guys are certain it will work? Some guy on ATT wireless forum is telling me otherwise. Also, thanks for the detailed reply.