Upgrade Swap - only possible via line on same account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JosephBlowinsky, Jun 16, 2010.

1. JosephBlowinsky macrumors newbie

I've read through the excellent iPhone Upgrade Guide, and discovered the "upgrade swap" process and now I'm wondering if I can take advantage of it..

My son and I are on a family plan, we both have iPhone 3GS's and since his line is the "main" line on our account, he's eligible to get a new iPhone 4 at the $299 price right now ..

My line is the secondary line and checking via https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/wa/IPAToolAction/checkUpgradeEligibility for my line shows my price for an iPhone 4 would be $699 before Dec 20, 2010 and $499 after Dec 20, 2010

My folks have an entirely separate account and they have their own famliy plan, checking my dad's line, he's eligible to get a new iPhone 4 at the $299 price right now; my mom's line is eligible for an iPhone 4 for $499 before May 21, 2011 and $299 after May 21, 2011

Anyway, reading through the upgrade guide, the upgrade swap asks "Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap""

I've read through a ton of threads here about upgrade swap, but it seems everyone is talking about the "someone else" being an additional line on their existing account ..

Has anyone done an upgrade swap using a person/line that isn't on their own account? and if so, how easy or hard is what I'm asking?

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much or too little into the upgrade swap section of the upgrade guide..

thanks in advance for any guidance!

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

You can do an informal "Upgarde Swap" with anyone that has AT&T service and wants a new two-year service commiment ( contract ) add the $325 ETF term to their contract and use their equipment subsidy for maybe the next 21 months or so...

They just order on their line, complete the activation and give you the iPhone 4. Only complexity is that you would need a new Micro SIM and they would need a new SIM to activate again so that they could go back to their old (non iPhone 4) device... :(

AT&T or Apple don't really have much control over the device once they sell it to you.. for example Jailbreaking and software unlocks break your contract and warranty but lots of people do it ....:eek:

If you were to use the normal "Upgrade Swap" using only the new Micro SIM and not preforming multiple extra steps: you would need to be together with both Account holders / Retail Authorized users and expect to get some push back from the Care rep (phone) or RSC (AT&T COR location).

Dave

3. JosephBlowinsky thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to ask this question as an aside..

If I can't use an upgrade swap from a different person's account, and if I absolutely wanted to get an iPhone 4, wouldn't it make more sense to cancel my current line/contract (since I've had the iPhone 3GS for a year), pay the partial ETF .. then add a new line and pay the $299 iPhone 4 price?

Any drawbacks to going that route? I assume I wouldn't be able to preserve my existing phone number, but it seems I would save a lot of money in my situation

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I did the upgrade swap with my moms line, and the manager told me they will be shipping me a blank Micro-SIM with it as well, and I just need to activate my account via iTunes on it, or take it to them and they'll swap it.

He then said that when I get it, call back and they'll remove the plan from my moms account, move it over to mines, and hers goes back to the normal rate.

Ah, sorry didnt read that part. I would call or ask an online rep about that.

5. JosephBlowinsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response .. my folks are in the same town, so getting together and going up to the AT&T store wouldn't be a huge deal ..

Is it difficult to get the new SIM and new Micro-SIM you refer to, can that be done at the AT&T store or would it be something that is mailed/sent to you? I'm assuming they would charge for this as well..

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Manager told me they can provide new SIMs for free. Thats what the one at my store told me, I would still confirm, but it usually isnt a problem.

7. Cam.Dutch macrumors newbie

I'm currently in the same position as the OP. Family plan, not available for upgrade until Feb/2011. So, a buddy of mine said his mom was available for the $199 pricing and that he didn't care if I used that.

What would be involved in this entire process of swapping the upgrades? Would she have to order it, activate it, then switch it to my number? Or, could she ultimately just order it, give it to me in the box, and go up to the ATT store in order to switch it over to my number?

I just want to minimize the hassle to her. I don't want to cause any hiccups for her phone or her plan.

8. Cam.Dutch macrumors newbie

Sorry about the double post.

I went into my local AT&T store yesterday and was helped by an employee who told me that this whole upgrade swap thing from another persons account has "never been done before" and "wouldn't work". I took her knowledge with a grain of salt as I do with all local AT&T employees.

So, does anybody have a definitive answer on whether or not you can upgrade swap with another person from a different account? And if so, would they have to pay any additional charges in the process of the upgrade swap?

9. cello2456 macrumors regular

If you did that with your friends Mom's upgrade, would that not lock HER into a new two year contract with AT&T?

10. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes, new two-year service commtiment ( contract ) add the $325 ETF term to her contract and use her equipment subsidy for maybe the next 21 months or so...:eek:

Dave

11. Cam.Dutch macrumors newbie

Why would the $325 early termination fee come into play?

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Listen to Dave, he knows what he's talking about. Ignore that AT&T rep.

It wouldn't, he's just telling you that the new contract will have the new ETF associated with it.

13. Cam.Dutch macrumors newbie

Perfect! Thanks for all the help guys. It seems as if 99% of the ATT employees have no idea what they are talking about. Glad I have this forum to turn to.

Now I just have to wait for the white ones :)

EDIT: Quick question. The person on the other account purchasing the phone wouldn't have to mess with new data plans or anything like that would she? She currently is using a lackberry that already has a data plan. My understanding is that she would purchase the phone, give it to me without activating it, tell ATT she wants to stay with he blackberry and give the iPhone to me for use?

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

She may be forced to choose a new data plan. She should be able to choose the unlimited iPhone data plan. Then switch back to the BB data plan.

15. absolut` macrumors member

Here's what my friend and I are doing:

1. I preordered an 16 GB iPhone on my mom's line on our Family Plan for $199, due to ship on July 14th, to MY house.
    2. Once I receive the phone, I will ship it myself to my friend via UPS/Fedex.
    3. He receives phone, will visit an at&t store, make up some bogus story about how this was a gift for him from me. Gets a new microsim pre-programmed for his number.
    4. He takes the phone home, activates it on iTunes for his line.
    5. I call at&t, make up some bogus story about how the phone was a gift for my mom, but she doesn't want it because she doesn't need a high tech phone, so I would like to cancel the data plan. (This part I'm not too sure about, because I'm not sure when IF the data plan even gets put on your account until you "activate" it with iTunes. So you may not even have to call if no data plan has been put on the line)
    6. No ETF, because you're not terminating the 2-year contract, you terminate the data plan which is required for smart-phones.
    7. My mom's line stays the way it was before all this happened, things are normal, my friend now has a iphone4 for $199, as opposed to $599.
    8. Profit.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong about this "informal" process, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

There's no reason to lie. AT&T allows all this. No need for your friend to go get a SIM either, the phone comes with one.

Please read the Upgrade Guide.

17. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It only comes into play if the donor line decides to cancel at some point in the next two years. Same thing apples the use of another equipment upgrade on the donor line, they may have to wait 21 months for another chance to upgrade with a subsidy.

Please just tell the upgrade donor the truth and remember if:

The iPhone 4 is activated against thier line, their current SIM will be deactivated and they will need another new unactivated SIM to go back to their current phone and they will be the proud owner of a new iPhone data plan. Once they activate a new SIM in their device, call Customer Care and have the iPhone 4 data plan removed.​

Dave

18. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Listen to Dave. And, yes to the OP's question.

19. Cam.Dutch macrumors newbie

So the person who is buying the iPhone for me will have to get a brand new aim card? If she never activates the new iPhone, wouldn't her sim card in her old phone not be affected?

20. absolut` macrumors member

Dave is saying IF for any reason the iphone gets activated with the sim pre-made for the ORIGINAL line, the current phone on that line will be deactivated, in which case she would have to go either reactivate the sim in her phone, or get a new one.

But that won't even matter because you're not gonna activate the iphone with her sim card in it, you'll have a new one put in when you go to the at&t store after you've received the iphone.

So yes, her phone shouldn't be affected.

Bada bing, bada boom