upgrade swap or just swap sims?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Foxdog175, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

Is it necessary to call AT&T or can I just swap the SIM out of my current 4 (that will go to my wife) with the 4s coming in (which was ordered under her #)?

And if I can just swap sims, do I have to do that before turning the 4s on?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

It depends on who you ordered it from, Apple or AT&T?

AT&T will send you specific activation steps and you would activate the new iPhone 4S using the activation information you receive from AT&T.

Once you complete the activation step, just swap Micro-SIMs and you are good to go for now. The phone number moves with the Micro-SIM. Your wife's number will be tied to the new Micro-SIM and you can reuse your existing Micro-SIM from your current iPhone 4.

Apple will have a different activation process so check back on Friday for the latest details. Last year the iPhone 4 was tied to the phone number ordered againt and had to be activated against that line before you could swap the Micro-SIM. In iTunes you were presented with the phone number that was not an edit field and you were prompted to enter the last 4 digits of the account owner's SSN.

Note: Either activation step listed above will result in your wife's current SIM being deactivated so make sure she is aware of what's up when you try to activate.

Dave

3. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased directly through Apple (pre-order last Fri). Should I be able to simply swap the microsims between the phones? And would I have to do that before ever turning the 4s on?

4. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone tried this yet or are you required to call AT&T for an upgrade swap?

5. bellaisa macrumors regular

they use the same sim. just swap it out and use it..

6. AaronE macrumors 6502

It won't work with just switching SIMs. I went to my AT&T store and they downloaded the IMEI info to my account so I'm not getting the error anymore but I can't get it activated likely due to server overload.