Upgrade Swap STILL not active

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jarrahammer, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Jarrahammer macrumors member

Jarrahammer

long story short i used another line on our family plan to get the 4S. had to use that line to activate the 4S, then take out that sim and replace it with mine. i had to get a new micro sim for my number and i put it in the phone. one day later now and i still have no service. very upset to say the least.

2. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

So you got the iPhone activated but your new SIM doesn't work? If your new SIM isn't active you may be able to call AT&T and give them the numbers off of the sim card and confirm that it is active on your account. Other than that you should make sure to try powerering down the phone and possibly reset network settings.

3. Jarrahammer thread starter macrumors member

Jarrahammer

yes, i have called them and did everything you stated. turned it off, reset network settings, take out sim and put it back in...unfortunately still no service

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Take it to the AT&T store.

5. Jarrahammer thread starter macrumors member

Jarrahammer

already have. was in there 3 hours yesterday...got 2 different sim cards, no luck. they said the servers are backed up so its a matter of waiting. 30 hours is just ridiculous IMO

6. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

I did an upgrade swap, and also had major issues. The solution from ATT telephone support....? Swap my wife's number with the upgraded line. I hung up at that point.

Went into an ATT store today... They put a new sim in the 4s and upgraded it on the third line ... They then put another new sim in and swapped the line to my wife's number. Then, a third sim was placed in the original upgrade line and that was re-activated.

The store rep did this like she has done it 1000x. I was out of the store with all phones working in 10 mins. Thank goodness I got a competent rep!

7. iRebound macrumors regular

I called as soon as I got the iPhone on Friday afternoon...luckily the wait was only 10 minutes.

So the rep answers, I asked for an upgrade swap. She had no clue what that means...so I told her I wanted to activate the new phone with a different number.She said okay, no problem. I was asked for the IMEI and Sim Card number. It took her about 4 minutes to complete. I was warned about the long activation time. But as soon as she said it was done, the activation worked with the new number. The only thing she couldn't do was remove the iPhone data plan from the line. She said something about it wouldn't be affective until Dec 4th.

The whole process took less than 20 minutes.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I'm curious as to why you switched the sim cards? I went into the AT&T store and did the upgrade swap in literally 10 min. All they needed was the IMEI numbers for the phones.

9. Jarrahammer thread starter macrumors member

Jarrahammer

i preordered it on another line on our plan, so the phone would only activate under that number. i didn't have a micro sim to begin with so i needed a new one anyways.

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

There're only two solutions that Ive found. One is to get a cold SIM from AT&T. You essentially have to force them to give it to you, as they'll explain they aren't allowed to. The second is to get a replacement phone from Apple.

Really no other way at this point.

11. fandsw macrumors regular

Upgrade swap worked flawless for yesterday. Got my 4s delivered from the AT&T preorder, the included instructions even told you what to do for an upgrade swap. Call the number given, waited 8 minutes to speak to an AT&T rep, told him what I wanted to do. 3 minutes later he had it all swapped in the computer and working.....

12. Jarrahammer thread starter macrumors member

Jarrahammer

I guess so. I'm restoring right now and if that dosent work, I'm asking for a replacement from Apple

13. qosie macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

http://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=1252446

Check out the last two pages or so for solutions. My only solution was to get it replaced at Apple. Others had different ones for a cold sim but it didn't work for me.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I pre ordered on another line too. All the AT&T rep needed was the IMEI numbers to do the upgrade swap. There was no need to switch sim cards. Everything was done on the computer.

15. qosie macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you buy from AT&T or Apple? This problem seems to only occur in some phones that Apple sent out.

16. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

at&t