Upgrade Swap - Suggestions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by makefunnyfaces, Jun 23, 2010.

1. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I know there are 10,000 threads like this, but if you activated today & did an upgrade swap, can you post your story here? Thanks. :)

Also: I'm doing it in-store at Apple. Do I just need to tell them?

2. twofivethreetwo macrumors newbie

A co-worker did his at work today. He had to call AT&T before activating the phone. The first lady he got was clueless as to what to do, just kept telling him to switch out the sim card with his old one and wouldn't understand they are different sim cards. So he called back and got a different lady who understood and knew what to do. She walked him through it, giving her the ID's of the phone (they are on the iPhone box so have it handy) and the phone number he wanted on it. Then he had to keep the iPhone plugged into iTunes while they do their stuff of switching out the number. However, he didn't leave it plugged in long enough and it caused the sim card to corrupt. He had to go to the AT&T store and they gave him a new sim and did the swap there.

Overall it was actually pretty easy and quick for him, besides the issue of him unplugging it to early before it finished but others have reported no issue with the upgrade swap and doing it yourself.

3. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks!

4. christyn macrumors 6502a

Called AT&T, said they swapped everything... plugged it into iTunes and it killed the SIM. Went to AT&T and got new sim and now iTune displays the wrong # even though it's switched around on AT&T's side.

Called Apple who told me to wait 3 days to activate it and then I will have no problem :rolleyes:

5. xizar macrumors regular

I plugged my iphone 4 into itunes and restored the (seconds old) backup from my iphone 3, went to the att activation website and did that thing, power cycled my phone, then called a friend to snark at her. :)

zero hitches and all my texts, phone history and my minigore kills were all in tact.

I was very relieved.

My old phone is now a fancy Blizzard.net authenticator.

6. i-Engineer macrumors member

I called ATT and they told me to contact Apple, at this time I knew that the CR doesn't have a clue about any thing so I went to ATT corporate store and the helped over there

7. Vin365 macrumors regular

Called ATT as soon as phone was delivered, Rep sounded confused at first but after a few minutes of reading he knew what to do.. It took about 15 minutes. Everything went smooth :) Didn't even have to activate it in iTunes he did it for me

8. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the posts, everyone. :)

9. Jawa macrumors newbie

Yup, mine went really easily as well. I called AT&T, picked the option for activating the phone on a different line. Then i told the AT&T rep which line I wanted to activate the phone on, and she did it all automatically without me having to give her my IMEI or any information. Note that she activated the phone herself, and I didn't have to go through iTunes to do it.

I think the key may be to just NOT turn the phone on at all once you get it. Immediately call AT&T and just have them do it, they've really made it very simple.