Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwittenmyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
First post here, so.... "Hi!" I've searched (really, I have) but can't find an answer.

I currently have an iPhone 3G that I use with an AT&T pre-paid plan. My father has a contract plan and he's eligible for an upgrade. He's older so he doesn't really care about a new phone. I'd like to do an upgrade swap using his upgrade but then use the iPhone 4 on my AT&T pre-paid plan while he continues to use his existing phone. I know this should be possible, but I can foresee some problems.

1.) Will the AT&T store or phone rep just do the upgrade swap for me as if I had a regular contract plan or will they refuse because the line it's swapping to is pre-paid?

2.) If they balk, can I order online, activate it on my dad's line and then just pop my current sim in there after cutting it down to micro-sim size?

3.) If I do #2, what happens to my dad's existing sim? If it gets deactivated can I get it reactivated or replaced so he can use his line on his old phone again? If so, can I cancel the data plan on his line that I'd be forced to buy when ordering the iPhone 4?

Thanks for helping!

jwittenmyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I'm going to place the order tomorrow if I don't hear anything bad from the experts on here. I'm planning to order online from AT&T's website, activate the phone when it gets here, then call AT&T and ask them to swap the numbers. The only thing I'm really unsure of is if I'll need a blank micro-sim or if they can just re-associate the one that comes in the iPhone 4 after its been activated. Any suggestions or words of encouragement/derision are appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.